Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at Blue Beach Hotel, Puerto del Carmen??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 10:23 AM
Alison

I'd be grateful on any feedback on the Blue Beach Hotel at Puerto del Carmen. Has anyone out there stayed there? There's loads of hotels in Puerto but this one looks pretty good.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 01:12 PM
Monica

Did you mean in Playa del Carmen? If so the Blue Beach is okay, but I would recommend the Colibri Hotel. It is right on the beach and they have a nice restaurant there. If you would like more information on this hotel or something else, e-mail me. Been going for 13 years.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 04:33 AM
Alison

Doh!!!! yes, I did mean playa del carmen... Well if you've been going there for 13 years Monica it must be pretty good! Will check out the Colibri. Thanks for the tip.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 08:14 AM
Susan

Alison, you're right. There are loads of hotels in Playa del Carmen. A few years ago, I just showed up and had trouble finding a place. Last time (March 2000), I had booked ahead and could have had my pick of hotels. I decided that next time, I might just show up (or maybe book the first night only) and then find a place. We were quite a nice hotel last time, but there was construction going on outside the hotel. That's very common down there and you won't know about it until you actually arrive. We met a hotel owner down there and she said they'd never be at 100% occupancy again because of all the building that's gone on.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 04:59 AM
Alison

Thanks, Susan, that's interesting. I guess you just have to take a chance - I am not sure that I would believe a hotel owner who said "no, don't worry, no construction going on near here" anyway. In a VERY naive way I honestly didn't think about construction going on!! I just have this idyllic picture of white sand and blue skies in my head. Thanks for the wake up call! I've been to resorts before where they have been building but luckily have never been right next door to a construction site.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Susan

There was lots of construction going on, but at our hotel, the street was being torn up. Apparently new services were being put in. I know I saw workers from the telephone company. Maybe sewer as well? Not sure. Anyway, they do tend to start very early in the morning and then take a break midday, so that wasn't conducive to sleeping in late. <BR> <BR>You know, I don't think I've ever been to a town in Mexico where something isn't going on! If it's not construction, it's church bells for example! <BR> <BR>It's still wonderful.