Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

HAS ANYONE GOTTEN SICK FROM STAY AT THE ROYAL HIDEAWAY?

Jul 23rd, 2002, 05:20 AM
Sal

Has anyone gotten sick (intestinal stomach flu) from a parasite at Royal Hideaway?

My wife and I are planning a vacation and she is worried about going to Mexico?

Is there anything we should stay away from to prevent this?

Also, any type of preventative measures to assure a healthy vacation?

Thanks. Sal

Jul 23rd, 2002, 07:10 AM
Mary

Are you concerned about Mexico in general or just he Hideaway? I have not stayed at the Royal Hideway but have traveled to that area of Mexico for many years. Here are some tips: 1) when go through the buffett lines, make sure the cold foods are cold and the hot foods hot. There should not be any problem with the ice or the drinks with water, as everyone down there uses purified water-ditto for the vegetables and fruit. I would suggest that when brushing your teeth to use the bottled water that the resort will supply in your room. I think again all the resorts have a purification system, but I just think instead of worrying, just use the bottled water for brushing your teeth or drinking(like for taking a pill)2)take pepto-bismal just in case-I understand the tablets work the best.3) remember that you will be in another country and subject to a different bacteria in the air. Sometimes with the combination of the hot sun and a few cocktails can get the stomach going. But be assured on this-chances are you will not get sick, so please don't worry about it. We have eaten everywhere down there including food from the street vendors and have never been sick. Have fun-enjoy-you will want to go back.

Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:24 AM
eileen

We were there in May and had no problems, we did not drink the tap water but we had frozen drinks, etc. We always take liquid pepto bismol with us to Mexico and we take some every morning as a preventative measure and that has worked for us. Incidentally, we found the food at RH to be excellent! It was gourmet-quality -- we were very happily surprised as everyone always says that AI food is not great, well RH was like being at a gourmet restaurant every night! We liked the Asian restaurant the best, but they were all good.

Jul 23rd, 2002, 09:22 AM
Sal

My wife was more worried than I was about getting sick in Mexico.

I know this is a sick question, but when people get sick from parasites, do they just have the runs or do they actually throw up?

Thanks.

Oh, and the question was regarding Mexico in general, either Cancun or Rivera Maya.

Jul 23rd, 2002, 09:41 AM
Nancy

Hi Sal,
You'll get a variety of responses to your questions. I'll just give you my experience(s).
My husband and I have traveled to Cozumel/Cancun/Akumal/Playa del Carmen for 10 years encompassing more than 150 days total. (That's roughly 450 meals.)
Out of that time, I was sick in Cozumel this year for one day from a pork dish that was apparently bad.
I have never personally known anyone or met anyone on my travels who has gotten sick in Mexico. That is not to say that it does not happen - you will get responses on here from people who say they got sick or "heard" people get sick. I am just giving you my experience which includes eating at both high end $75.00 per person restaurants, and eating at a place with four tables in someone's home.
I do not recommmend AI's as I feel the food is not good quality/fresh/kept at a proper temperature, but again, that is just my opinion.

Jul 23rd, 2002, 11:04 AM
clarification

The most common type of problem people encounter from food (dubbed Turista or Montezuma's Revenge) is bacterial (1) NOT a parasite & (2) NOT intenstinal stomach flu which is viral.

It typically comes from mishandled food (not refrigerated properly, reheated meat, whatever) and can cause diahhrea and/or vomiting.

Jul 23rd, 2002, 02:02 PM
Merriem

The Royal Hideaway has NO buffets! It is a great resort, and we spent a wonderful week there. I would highly recommend it. Why are people so worried about travel out of the country? You can get e-coli right here at your local restaurant.

Seriously, it is a delightful place.

Jul 23rd, 2002, 02:03 PM
Ana

Before it strikes, if you suspect diarreah - buy Lomotil that works like magic. You can buy it over the counter in any pharmacy store or hotel shop mart. First take 2 pills, and then one after 12 hours. Drink plenty of liquids (bottled water).

Ana

Jul 23rd, 2002, 02:09 PM
Dunya

Tourists don't usually get parasites. In general they are limited to the poor who do not have sanitary food supplies. If you use common sense your biggest danger might be a little moctezuma's revenge from food and drink you are not used to. In 100's of days in Mexico I have only been sick once. I later found out the fruit drinks I had been downing were made with tap water as opposed to purified. I am firmly convinced that yougurt with live acidophilus helps your stomach stay calm in new environments like Mexico- there is even medical research to back this up. Eat a lot of yogurt before you go, then have a yogurt a day in Mexico. You can by it in drink form or like we serve it. Many Mexicans have one a day for for the same reason. Enjoy yur trip.

Jul 23rd, 2002, 03:12 PM
pam

Sal, when we went to Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. I was cautious and didn't get sick. I drank bottled water, drank some frozen fruit drinks (purified water) and used bottled water to brush my teeth. My husband, on the other hand, got really sick. He drank bottled water but used tap water to brush his teeth and ate peeled fruits from a vendor. Aside from diarhhea and severe stomach cramps, he felt very weak. He took some peptobismol and got better a couple of days later. Just follow the advice from this board and you'll be fine.

Jul 23rd, 2002, 04:58 PM
mexico beaches

I've been to Cancun every year for the past five years, have taken the kids, and none of us have ever gotten sick. I use to be scared of going to Mexico because people use to tell me that you'll get sick. Most of the resorts now have taken care of that problem. I would go and enjoy. The beaches are beautiful there. I know Cancun is safe.

Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:32 PM
Anony

I have been to Mexico over 20 odd years and have got sick on a number of occasions. This was not about too much drink and sun but real bacterial infections. My friend was on the Mayan Rivera this last year and she got very sick for a day from eating at the buffet at one of the Riu resorts. I stay away from lettuce,watermelon, does it to me everytime.

Take some diarreha pills.bactrum and some baby solution for your bottled water that replaces salts and other lost minerals from diarehha.

A Doctor told me most illness down there is food poisoning where the meat has not been properly refrigerated or has turned in the heat and sun. Watch the buffets where there is fish food and it is left out in the heat. Watch to see if there are flys gathering around the buffet and if that is the case do not eat there.