Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Ha snayone stayed at the new Iberostar Paraiso Lindo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We have planned an Easter vacation at the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo outside Playa del Carmen, Mexico. We are in our 40's and our family includes two teenagers and an 11 year old. This is our first trip to Mexico and a first family vacation in a long while. Has anyone stayed here yet? The resort looks large, would you recommend any particular location to request our rooms? Did you feel comfortable with the kids alking arounf the property alone? Was a there a lot of activities for teens and adults? Is there much to do in town? Any other insights to help make this a great vacation spot? Thanks.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:02 PM

We are also interested in this hotel,
also never been to Mexico..Do you know
about the safety and water??
Please share any information you found out. Considering taking our 10 year old grandson
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

I don't know about town, Playa del Carmen, but I have been told to consume bottled water at the resort for drinking, and everything else is not a problem, ie ice, fresh fruit etc. I am also curious as to the safety, as I requested in my previous message, ie can the 14 and 11 year old go back and forth to the room or to the beach alone while we are at the pool? Do the teens go to the entertainment during the day and night as part of the normal course of an AI? I was starting to think no one read my message and thought it might be my poor typing. I am sure we will get more responses sometime soon.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 11:09 AM

I don't think it will be oen for another few weeks...your travel agent should know. Or check Iberostar website...
It is next to the I.B. Paraiso/Delmar--which is a beautiful place!
I.b Paraiso/Delmar is Great food, huge pools, waterfalls.But you will be doing lots of walking!
Very safe for kids and teens to walk around, there are programs just for kids...., entertainment at night is also for the kids.

The Lindo is more upscale so you can use Paraiso facilities but people staying at Paraiso can't come to the Lindo. Beach is nice in front of Paraiso, waves are high some days... but fun to play in the water, seems safe to me---just don't go out too far.
I'm sure the Lindo will be a wonderful place for you. We were very impressd with the Paraiso!!
Whenever it opens!
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 11:12 AM

Ooooops sorry, I meant whenever the Lindo is open...I'll check around...
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 10:45 AM

Hi Michigantraveler, We too have planned a trip to the Lindo during easter break. My wife and I have been trying to get info on the resort as well as the tours ( we would like to pre-arrange a couple of things for the kids)I have had little luck in either area, do you have any info that may be helpful. Thanks Kevin PS also from Michigan.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 04:13 PM

News is--- its still suppose to open on Nov. 1st...check out playaguide.com---go to web board on left...lots of other people trying to get answers too---but soon you may have a trip report when someone gets back.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 02:49 PM

WE stayed right next door in August, at the Paraiso Del Mar and had a distanced look at Lindo - it was well under construction but looked to be very impressive. It is said to be alot more upscale then the Paraiso Del Mar and Paraiso Beach (which is the side of the resort Linod actually borders). Lindo guests will have full privileges at Del Mar and Beach while it is not vice-versa for those guests to go over to Lindo. They will, however be able to use the beacahes of course.

The resort is the same depth in sclae as Beach and Del Mar so it is rather deep and large but imagine the grounds will be jsut as beautiful. Del Mar and Beach was very tropical and lush and jsut immaculate. Could not get over the attention to detail and the maintence so such a huge place. It never felt too big however and there is a tram if you want a ride back and forth.

There were tons of teens at Del Mar and they just oramed about safely. They actually ran the disco!

Playa Del Carmen - cute small town, lots of street vendors selling basic Mexician stuff, worth seeing but wear comfortable shoes as they drop you a bit from town and you ahve to walk in and it is a bit hilly. Going over to Cozumel is neat - excellent fishing and snorkeling there and you can go over to the Cozumel Paraiso as well - you do need to take a cab from the ferry to the resort though. With the ferry - there is a fast one and a slow one - you will see them docked. The faster one costs the same and save a bunch of time - you willsee it as it looks faster - like a big yacht! X-Carat and X-Ha are great fun for teens too.

Water is fine to drink but if youget a suite you might be bottled water too. They do not give out many bottles but if you leave tips and notes, they will leave more!

We felt very safe there - of course, we jsuted bsic street smarts like youwould in any new city but the people are very polite; can be pushy selling you stuff but that islike any island or tourist city.

Enjoy!

Penney

Old Oct 29th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

I like how this works.
We are hoping to do a few things, however, we currenlty are thinking of
1. WWW.dolphindiscovery.com and I am very impressed with what I have been reading about experiences people have had there from other forums.
2. X-Caret park.
3. A day in Cozumel. I was thinking of renting a cab for the day and going to a few great snorkeling spots.
Otherwise R&R and playing it by ear regarding the ruins and going into town. Any other ideas?
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 11:39 AM

I have reservations for the Lindo from November 30 - Dec7th. I have been assured that they will be up and running in full force. Hope its as nice as everyone says its going to be.

Anyway, I will be flying out of Pittsburgh via Apple Vacations.

Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 12:49 PM

Please leave a trip report as I have just paid top $$$$$ for the Lindo over new years week and HOPE it will be worth it. I have two kids age 7 and 8 and hope that winding river will be open! I will leave my report for the Easter Break vacationers...
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:49 AM

We will be staying at the Lindo in 2 weeks & I'll report back then. We'll have our 1.5 year old, but I'll keep your older kids in mind.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 11:15 AM

We are staying a the Lindo 11/15-22. I'll let you know how it is. Funjet claims everything is up and running--hope so! We stayed at the Pariso next door last year and it was absolutely beautiful! I'm sure this will be even better--the good part is being able to go next door--they've got a great band that plays at the pool bar in the afternoons.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 03:02 PM

We've sent about 20 couples there since it opened...Haven't heard one bad thing, yet.

I had a couple of groups that went down on November 2 and some of the restaurants & facilities were not open yet, that's been the only down I've heard, but that shouldn't be a problem in April especially for Easter.

As far as side-excursions, Xel-Ha is awesome, definitely worth every penny. If you do it get the AI plan at the park. Xcaret is also very nice. A worker at the resort will be able to recommend a good cenote for you, if you're into snorkeling. Iberostar are great resorts, your family will have a blast.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 05:46 PM

Hello! We just returned from a week at the new Paraiso Lindo...

The resort was absolutely beautiful! We enjoyed ourselves immensely. The staff was extremely friendly & helpful. Everywhere we looked there was someone cleaning.

Our room was at the beach end & pool side. When making reservations--I'd definately recommend building 51. It was close to the beach, the main part of the pool, a grill type restaurant, the ice cream bar & hot tub. The pool closes at 8 p.m. so no worries about loud, party noise. There is a large theater & bar. I didn't even those people staying in the buildings close to it. It was really loud at night.

Oh, if you are sensitive to cigarette smoke, be sure to ask for a Non-smoking room--seemed like EVERYONE smoked there & I can just imagine how bad some of the rooms will smell in a few months--bleh!

They have a free shuttle to Playa de Carmen so you can get out & about. (We were disappointed with PDC, but if you want a terrific meal, stop in at the Casa de Agua--something like that--fabulous!).

Every where on the resort felt very safe. I wouldn't worry about your kids "exploring". They have a group of workers called the "Star Friends" who organize all kinds of activities--from water aerobics, beach volleyball, salsa lessons to bingo & darts. Very enthusiastic bunch.

The food was okay. Breakfast was pretty good. Lunch was mediocre. Dinner pretty good. We were there a week & got tired of the buffet. My husband compared it to dorm food. I learned I am pregnant 4 days before we left so I've been dealing with morning sickness--nothing really appealed to me.

The evening meals: Italian--bleh. Steakhouse--pretty good--lot of meat, not much else. Oriental--good. Cajun--excellent. Didn't go to the Fondue or Gourmet since we had a toddler with us.

We were supposed to be able to go to all of the Iberostar resort restaurants (Paraiso Beach & del Mar resorts parallel to Lindo all within walking distance). But we found it impossible to get reservations, which was disappointing. The concierge said those guests get reservations first. Since we have a small child, we were limited to early times (6:30-7:00) so you may have better luck if you are willing to wait until 8 or 9.

The evening entertainment was kind of cheesey. The Star Friends put on little shows. Fairly entertaining though. On Friday, they have Mexican night at the Paraiso Beach buffet restaurant. That was fun. Great mariachi & they had a row of vendors set up selling things. (No t-shirts!)

They were still working out some kinks--nothing major from what I could tell.

We had a rental car & drove down to Tulum. It was a nice side trip--very beautiful once you get past the touristy stuff--bring your swimsuit! The beach is so inviting.

Overall a great vacation.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 10:49 PM

See my post under iberostar paraiso
julie was the name of the thread starter..
we WILL be going to the Lindo in Oct 2004.
This will be an event every year im that
impressed with the servie & stay.
please search under iberostar paraiso
for my info..
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 10:50 PM

See my post under iberostar paraiso
julie was the name of the thread starter..
we WILL be going to the Lindo in Oct 2004.
This will be an event every year im that
impressed with the service & stay.
please search under iberostar paraiso
for my info..
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 10:55 PM

sorry about the double post i tried to corect my spelling..
Shell ha is the best for dolphins
we asked around the hotel & everyone
said that shell ha was the best
trust me we have a video they make
while you with the dolphins for a keepsake, its dynomite!
remember that shell ha is Xelha there.
they spell it different lol-
HAVE FUN! totally woth it!