Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page > guatemala. weather and what to wear in panajachel and antigua?
Notices

guatemala. weather and what to wear in panajachel and antigua?

Mar 19th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

guatemala. weather and what to wear in panajachel and antigua?

we are going next week. we hear that it is 60-77 in both areas. short sleeve shirts and jeans during the day-time? shorts for men (or is that frowned upon?)
Mar 20th, 2008, 02:44 AM

Evenings may be cool enough to warrant a light fleece jacket. I don't wear jeans in CA because they're heavy to pack and take forever to dry but they're appropriate attire. You're unlikely to see the knees of any local man but both Antigua and Pana get so many tourists you'll see everything. No one will really stare or avoid you or refuse you service if you wear shorts, at least in any of the establishments I've visited. As a woman I choose not to wear shorts in CA except in beachy areas.

Come to think of it, I came across a man gardening near a walking path in San Pedro La Laguna, Atitlán with his traditional embroidered pants rolled up above the knee. We talked for a few minutes in Spanish, the 2nd language for both of us, and he let me take his picture. It's in the San Pedro set of the Guatemala 2007 collection if you're interested.

Have a great trip and be sure to tell us all about it. Happy trails!

http://flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Mar 20th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

thank you, hopefulist! maybe i'll take lightweight long pants.
Mar 20th, 2008, 09:32 PM

My packing list is #15 in the FAQ thread of the Thorntree Forum if you're interested:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...28622&tstart=0

Since I posted it I've added a memory card reader so I can post pictures to a blog as I travel. Happy trails!

Search this Thread