Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Guatemala to Belize - open jaw flight - itinerary questions

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw a great November fare - LAX to Guatemala City, then Belize City back to LAX for $302.00!

We don't have a lot of time, 8 nights. I am still a bit confused about how to put together an efficient trip. Main interest would be Mayan ruins and jungle for this trip, but if we could cram in a day of snorkeling in Belize at one of the cayes that would be nice.

How does this look:

First 2-3 nights Antigua/Atitlan, fly to Tikal, 2-3 nights there at Jungle Lodge and/or somewhere in El Remate, then bus to Belize.

Suggestions welcome!

Do we have time for Ambergris Caye, or shall we finish up in the Cayo area and see more ruins/jungle?

I have figured out the shuttle buses in Guatemala, are the ones in Belize similar?
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 02:34 PM

Great fare! For most folks 2 nights at Tikal would be enough. If you want more inland adventure, Cayo is a great option, but you can bus straight from Tikal to the dock in Belize City for $25 on Linea Dorada, I believe, and have time for Ambergris or Caulker. Belize doesn't have the same shuttle system as Guatemala; most of the shuttles are provided by the lodges and most of the buses are old US school buses. The Linea Dorada line is a higher end bus, though.

Have a great trip, whatever you decide and be sure to tell us all about it. Happy trails!
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 09:34 PM

If you decide to stay in El Remate, I highly recommend La Casa de Don David. www.lacasadedondavid.com - it was great location right on the lake.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 09:40 PM

Oops...posted too soon. If I were you with 8 nights, I'd pick two out the three - Atitlan, Antigua, Tikal - any more and it's probably going to get rushed since you need to leave the last day open to get to Belize.

Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I think we'll skip the snorkeling on this trip. The Linea Dorada bus looks good - did I read somewhere that it's about 5 hours from Flores to Belize City? They have 5:30 and 7:30 a.m. departures, our flight home leaves B city about 4 p.m.

It seems like it would be awfully nice to stay IN the Tikal park.

I wonder if we should spend the last night in San Ignacio - I saw a thread on Lonely Planet that made it look interesting, we could see Xunantunich.

For the first night, we arrive about 9 p.m. I'm thinking 2 nights Antigua, 2 nights Atitlan (the Casa Del Mundo looks nice), then we'd have to get straight on the bus from Panajachel to Gua. city and catch a one-way flight to Flores. I wonder if we could make the 9:55 a.m. flight?!?

Should we spend the first night in Gua. city, head to Atitlan early for 2 nights there, then to Antigua for 1 night before the flight?

2 nights Antigua, 1 night Atitlan then 1 night Antigua again?

Aargh! However, husband and I don't mind changing hotels as long as we have lots of sightseeing time.

I'm a little worried about spending too much of our limited time on buses, but we want to keep this trip inexpensive.

Thanks
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:56 PM

I'd head straight to Antigua from the airport for the 1st night rather than stay in Guatemala City, then to the lake the next morning, easily done from Antigua. Casa del Mundo has had some mixed press lately on another forum, though the website is lovely. It's not reasonable to get from Casa del Mundo to Panajachel by boat, then shuttle to Guatemala (most of the shuttles stop in Antigua), and get to the airport an hour or 2 before a 9:55 flight. Easily done from Antigua and perhaps possible (but not pleasant - too early!) from Panajachel.

I love the San Ignacio area of Belize but Xunantunich won't be too impressive right on the heels of Tikal. I don't think Linea Dorada, as a rule, lets people off in San Ignacio or Belmopan.

If it was my trip I think I'd save the Cayo and the cayes of Belize for another trip and maximize my time in Guatemala. The Linea Dorada bus might work for you then.

My travelogues and photos are here if you're interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Keep us posted!
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

hopefulist, your photos are lovely!

Perhaps we will do this:

Night 1 - Antigua. The Hotel Aurora looks nice.

Night 2 - Atitlan, stay in Santiago, I like the looks of Hotel Bambu or Posada de Santiago.

Night 2 - Stay at the lake or back to Antigua.

Night 4 - Antigua.

Day 5, head for Tikal on a one way flight as early as possible.

Nights 5 and 6 - Jaguar Inn at Tikal.

Nights 7 and 8 - Flores. Stay at Casona de Isla? This would give us time and have us in the right place to take a tour to Yaxha.

Any idea on the best way to see Biotipo Cerro Cahui?

Last day: early bus on Linea Dorada direct to Belize City, do nothing besides travel to the airport and wait for our flight home.

The open jaw fare is still cheaper than round trip LAX/GUA, and on the travel day home it looks like the timing isn't good for a flight Flores/GUA then catch the flight to LA.

Comments welcome.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 11:53 AM

Glad you enjoyed my photos - such good memories. Your plans sound good. You could cut out one of the nights in the lowlands in favor of more time on the lake or in Antigua if you wanted. You'd still have nearly 2 full days to explore Tikal.

We really enjoyed La Casona de la Isla, a good choice in Flores.

Happy trails!