Guanacaste -- What else to see beside beach?

Jan 4th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Guanacaste -- What else to see beside beach?

Wondering what day trips (volcanos, etc.) are possible if we are staying on the beach in Guanacaste? Is it safe for a woman & kids to drive alone in Costa Rica or are we better off hiring a local driver? Should that be handled in advance of trip?
Jan 5th, 2011, 03:53 AM

www.mapache.com is a great place to rent a car

safe do it a lot www.papagayovargastours.com for tours

www.rincondelavieja.net for volcano nearby hiking rafting etc.

Happy Journey,
Jan 5th, 2011, 04:49 AM

Guanacaste is a good sized province,so it'd help to know exactly where you are staying in Guanacaste.
Jan 5th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Tully,
Haven't booked yet - but thinking Flamingo Beach.
Jan 6th, 2011, 07:12 AM

We LOVE Flamingo Beach, even though it isn't very Costa Rican anymore, and we generally deplore that! Love, love, love it.
Nice area from which to visit both to the north and to the south, lots of pretty beaches, great dining both ways. Check out a day trip to Rincon de la Vieja, the Mega Combo tour. Also a daytrip to Palo Verde would be fun. We are big fans of Flamingo Beach Resort, and feel it is a good price if you can snag it for less than $135 per night. Do NOT buy the all-inclusive plan! Too many neat restaurants around!
Jan 6th, 2011, 08:00 AM

shillmac, can you tell me who you would book a day trip with? Is there a tour company you would recommend, or would you need to have your own car?
Jan 7th, 2011, 07:17 AM

It has been a LONG time since we did tours in this area (10 years), so I am a little out of touch with the companies. I do know that Swiss Travel serves that area nicely. Percy used a company that he thought was awesome, I think Vargas Tours. You might do a google check on those two. Also, look to see if there is a Papagayo Tour company--that is ringing a bell, but then sometimes my bells ring for no reason!!
Jan 7th, 2011, 07:20 AM

http://www.vargascostaricatours.com/comboadv.htm

Bingo! This is the page with the Mega Combo tour listed. They also do Palo Verde. . . . .
Jan 7th, 2011, 08:04 AM

Muchas gracias!
Jan 8th, 2011, 03:53 AM

I'm also a big fan of both the Flamingo Beach Resort & Swiss Travel! Swiss offers the mega combo tour too We're heading back again in May--won't be here soon enough. I've had enough cold & snow
Jan 9th, 2011, 04:59 AM

qwovadis - please send me a pm on TA - I've been trying to get in touch with you. (Sorry folks)
Jan 17th, 2011, 05:20 PM

we did the mega combo tour to rincon and it was awesome! you get to check out the volcano, natural (huge) waterslide, horseback ride, mud baths, etc...that was our first trip to CR. i would also recommend palo verde as well...if you do these two tours you will be planning your next trip to CR before you leave

Search this Thread