Guadalajara and Bullfight Trip

Old Feb 12th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guadalajara and Bullfight Trip

Recently returned from a 4 day, 3 night trip to Guadalajara, Mexico to catch a bullfight at the Plaza de Toros Nuevo Progreso on February 7 featuring three top matadors, the Spaniard Julian Lopez (“El Juli”), Sebastian Castella from France, and a Mexican, “El Conde.”

Hotel: We stayed at the luxurious Quinta Real located in the Minerva district and our rate was a very reasonable USD $150 per night. The hotel was lovely and the food and service in the Rincon Bar were excellent and prices reasonable for the quality of hotel. (We opted to eat our breakfasts at the local Burger King, which was just a couple of blocks away.)

Transportation: We flew Mexicana Airlines and the roundtrip coach seats were USD $250 each. We took a taxi from the international terminal to our hotel, which cost MXD $240 (about $18 USD). From the hotel we mostly used the local Par Vial electric bus (although on Sunday it was NOT an electric bus) to take us from the Minerva district into the Centro Historico. From the Centro Historico, we took the modern, very efficient Macrobus that runs along its own dedicated lane in the center of Calzada Independencia all the way to the bullring, which was next to the big soccer stadium. The blue Macrobus cost 6 pesos as well but when we were there the ticket machines were all broken and one needed exact change (6 pesos and nothing more!) in order to get into the area where you wait for the bus. There were attendants at each entrance. Taxis were plentiful and very reasonable but we preferred the bus because it was inexpensive, easily accessible, dropped us off right in the center of everything, and fun since we got to see a slice of local life. The Par Vial buses were old, tired, and worn, but they ran every few minutes and the drivers were friendly and helpful. The FODORS guidebook to Mexio (2007 ed.) that I used was fairly accurate in its description of how to get around the City. The only major difference was that there was no mention of the Macrobus, which might be fairly new.

Bullfight: The purpose of our trip was to see the corrida, or bullfight, on Sunday afternoon at the Plaza de Toros Nuevo Progreso (see www.plazanuevoprogreso.com.mx). The website directs persons to purchase tickets off the Ticketmaster website (for Mexico), which I did, and I picked up the tickets at the bullring’s box office the day before the fight. (I had to show my ID and the credit card used to purchase the tickets.) The 3rd row, or barrera, seats in the sombra (shaded side) cost USD $120 each. The seats were excellent and the fight, which featured top matadors and awful bulls, was interesting, colorful, and fun. For 10 pesos we rented seat cushion as the “seats” are just concrete steps with iron arm rests separating the spaces and the corrida lasts 3 hours.