Cabo recommendations anyone?

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Rosemary

Cabo recommendations anyone?

I am planning a trip to Cabo and am overwhelmed by the number of hotels and the conflicting number of *s based on what web site you are looking at. Also prices at the "best" places get pretty steep. <BR><BR>I'm looking for a smaller hotel, 4* quality but don't want to spend a ton for a short sun break.<BR><BR>Will greatly appreciate any help on this.<BR><BR>Anyone have any feedback on Hotel Cabo San Lucas. <BR><BR>

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 08:48 PM
Anony

Best Advice I would give you is go to Puerta Vallarta. Better hotels. great restaurants, better prices.<BR><BR>Go to www.google.com and do a search Timeshare scams Cabo. Read LatinTrade<BR>"Timeshare Hell" sums it all up, ABC News tricks of the trade also open up more on timeshare scams, Cabo Tips how they get to you. For a glimpse of the nightlife do a search on Face Down in Cabo or El Squid Roe Yowza. You'll get the picture.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Patty

I think Cabo has some of the highest prices in all of Mexico, not just hotels, but food, transportation also. Do you need to be on the beach or is in town OK? We've stayed at a small B&B called The Bungalows in Cabo San Lucas. It is located in a residential area about a 10 minute walk to the waterfront/marina area. The price is reasonable and includes breakfast. The rooms are situated around a small courtyard with a pool. We had the "honeymoon" suite which had a balcony area with a glimpse of the water. I have not stayed at the Hotel Cabo San Lucas but if you do stay there or at any of the hotels on the corridor, keep in mind that taxi fares can really add up if you want to go into town for dining, nightlife, etc. Unless of course you plan to spend most of your time at the hotel. <BR><BR>Yes, the timeshare hawkers are everywhere, but we just ignore them. The airport is especially bad. I've always flown into the new terminal (Alaska Airlines) don't know if the old one is the same. We just walk straight past all of the timeshare desks (and they will try to disguise themselves as "transportation services") and out the door. Hope this helps.<BR>

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 11:41 AM
jenn

Driving around Cabo is not a problem so I would recommend renting a car (must get local insurance) and staying somewhere on the corridor or around San Jose del Cabo.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Kat

You might check into these two smaller hotels, both have web sites:<BR><BR>Casa Natalia -- it's in Cabo San Lucas; quite lovely<BR><BR>Casa del Mar -- on the Corridor, on the beach

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Patty

I believe Casa Natalia is in San Jose Del Cabo not Cabo San Lucas.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Kat

Ack, you're correct, Patty. I meant to say Casa Natalia is in San Jose del Cabo.

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Cindy

my best advise is to not go...Cabos is the worst!

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 10:55 AM
anony

I agree with you Cindy just read a recent trip report on Frommers and it sounds bad. No Tourists and desperate people.<BR>

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Jayne

We just returned from Cabo yesterday. It's true -- tourism is way down there now, but the good news is you may be able to negotiate a good rate. We stayed at the Hotel Hacienda Beach Resort in Cabo San Lucas. Was the perfect low key hotel in an excellent location set on the best part of the beach and 5 minutes walking distance from the marina and town. You can negotiate 4 nights for the price of 3 there right now. You should also check out some of the larger hotels for deals as they were very empty. Watch out for extra "taxes" and gratuity charges. They can add up to 30% more on your bill. The weather was perfect, lots of whales to see there now. Try to ignore the throngs of time share sharks and avoid the ridiculously overpriced restaurants and you will have a happy time.