Search

Good Food in Akumal?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Food in Akumal?

We are traveling with a group of couples to Akumal (or Tankah, not booked yet) and would love any reccs on some good dining. Good, fun, not too tourist-trap...ideas?

Thanks!!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 03:52 AM

www.locogringo.com has a list of Akumal restaurants and one of the forums has reviews/recommendations for restaurants. That would be a good place to start.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 04:47 AM

Our favorite place to eat in the area is the Buena Vida, right on the beach on south end of Half Moon Bay. You can eat outdoors under a palapa, sit on a swing at the bar, or dine upstairs in the dining room. The Turtle Bay Bakery is a fun place for breakfast. Although Akumal is made up mainly of vacationers, it's a quiet, laid back kind of place, not really a 'tourist trap' kind of scene.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 01:40 AM

We were in the Akumal area in March. We also liked La Buena Vida at Half Moon Bay. We ended up at Casa Cenote restaurant in Tankah and liked it so much that our group of seven have rented the house next door for another trip in August. Snorkel Manatee cenote, snorkel the ocean where the cenote empties, and then hang out at the restaurant. Great day! I have heard that the Blue Sky Hotel restaurant on Tankah is also good. Oscar y Lalos on Soliman Bay is another good place to eat. The whole area from Akumal down to Tulum we found to be small and very laid back. Have a great trip!
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 02:35 PM

We enjoyed a great dinner at Cueva del Pescador, next to Turtle Bay Bakery.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 07:40 AM

Lol Ha beach bar, La Buena Vida, La Lunita, Que Onda, La Cueva del Pescador, Turtle Bay bakery (open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner), the Loncheria by Super Chomack, and Lucy's. These are pretty much all of the restaurants in Akumal on the beach side. All are good. You would love Akumal--very laid back, safe, not touristy!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 10:17 AM

Casa Cenote restaurant in Tankah is a great place to hang out before or after snorkeling in the cenote. Blue Skies does have excellent food in their restaurant, but be prepared to wait a while. Food is made to order. There are also many great restaurant in the town of Tulum.
www.casatropical.com
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 05:37 PM

I second the suggestion of Turtle Bay Bakery in Akumal for breakfast. We ate there every morning of our vacation last July.

La Buena Vida was just okay. We had a flaming lobster dish and the lobster was kind of rubbery. Also, the waiter told us we couldn't put the tip on the credit card. Before that, we had nachos for lunch which were good.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 09:12 AM

I too am looking at food in the area . Go to www.akumalvacations.com Great pictures and advise about dining as well as everything else for akumal and Tulum. Fum site!
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 07:43 PM

Just got back from Akumal and the best dinner we had was at Turtle Bay Bakery! Lol Ha main restaurant and beach bar were both excellent, also.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 07:02 AM

Thanks summer04 I'm not the OP but I have been watching this thread for info. Where did you stay there? Did you like Akumal? I am in the middle of planning a trip there and wanting all the info I can. Did you do a trip report?
Thanks again
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Hi,

We stayed in Akumal in May of this year, our fifth trip down there. We stayed at Hotel Akumal Caribe, right on the Akumal main beach, has A/C and pool. We have eaten at most of the restaurants down there, our favorite is Cueva del Pescador. Case Cenote does a pretty good Sunday Texas style BBQ.

Go to locogringo.com and read some of the trip reports, mine is posted there.
Real friendly bunch of people who are always glad to help with info.