Search

Good eats? - Mal Pais, Nosara, Tamarindo, Arenal and places in between

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Iza
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good eats? - Mal Pais, Nosara, Tamarindo, Arenal and places in between

Only 52 days left until our 3rd trip to Costa Rica! I figured I would post another question in preparation for it ;-)

We will be there from Aug 16 through August 31 and are looking for suggestion on good places to eat (lunch and dinner) in Malpais, Nosara, Tamarindo, Arenal and all places in between. We like trying local foods and fresh seafood. Our daughter loves pizza, so bring on suggestions for any good pizza joints as well.

This will be our first time in Malpais and Nosara so we are open to any suggestions. In Tamarindo we ate at the hotel restaurant at Capitan Suizo, Stella's, El Pescador and a few other places the names of which escape me now. In Arenal we ate at the hotel restaurant at Arenal Paraiso and La Vaca Muca.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 11:18 AM

In Mal Pais, we thought the food and atmosphere at the Surf Camp was good and fun. Large portions and fresh, also reasonable prices. Your daughter would love it for all the board games, pool table, videos, etc. It can get a little 'loud' and crowded, and service can be quite slow if there are a lot of 'surfers' there.
We LOVED a place called "The Place". Great ambience and excellent italian food. We didn't have pizza, but the pasta was very, very good.
The best place we ate at in the area was a little 'dive' directly across the street from the 'Tropico Latino'. (I think that's the name of the hotel..close enough anyway). It's very, very small, only a few plastic tables and chairs but they had an excellent chef that had come from a big resort in Miami (he's was originally from Agentina) and his food was to die for. Make sure he's still there or I can't vouch for the food!
In Nosara, some of the best food and variety is at the restaurant under the BIG palapa on the main road out of town...Cafe Paris. I think they even have Pizza, or the Italian place directly down the street...look for the sign with the big Pizza on it. They have great salads and pasta too. For more upscale, say a steak (with real horseraddish!) and fish, try Marlin Bay, on the hill above Cafe Paris. But it's more upscale and romantic, and their prices match it. Another good place is Cafe Luna..or Luna Cafe....it's right on the water so can also be very nice for happy hour to see the sun set. Some of the best ever food we've had in Nosara is on the main road just in town. There are two of them...both with palapa roofs. Both are 'local' for the most part and you may have to go through servers to find one who speaks English, but this will be the BEST and least expensive food you'll find.
There is one more place that's has excellent fish, is La Dolce Vida, but it's about 15 minutes out of town and is also pricey and romantic...may not be all that fun for a kid.
Enjoy!
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 07:35 PM

Between Arenal Paraiso and Montana de Fuego is a little tiny place called El Novillo. It doesn't look like much, the chairs and tables are all outside and are plastic but the food is wonderful and you get a great view of the volcano (weather permitting of course). Back towards town there is a little motel on the right hand side of the street with a pizza place next to it, forget the name unfortunately, but they had pretty good pizza.
I want to go too!!!! I'll have to wait until next Jan .
Possibly you could stop in and see Marilyn who has a place in Tamarindo if she hasn't had to go back to work yet.

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 05:29 AM

Ooops. In my previous post I mentioned Marlin Bay near Nosara...That should be Marlin Bills'.
I don't know how I could have forgotten the restaurant at Harbor Reef Hotel. Nice place, good selection, a 'special' every night. Great fish tacos. And they have a monkey and sometimes other animals around to entertain your daughter.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 06:08 PM

The very best place in Tamarindo is called "The Lazy Wave Food Company". 1st off, the prices are extremely reasonable. We ate there three times on our trip in August 2001. Unbelievable steaks, rare tuna, fresh veges, appetizers, all in an open air setting. The last night we ate there, it rained, and we just moved over under the covered patio area. The air was warm, the rain was torrential, the food was great, and we loved it!!!
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 03:00 PM

Hi Iza,
I never thought you would post a message, since a got so much info from you for our trip ( THANKS). We just got back yesterday and can not wait to go back to CR. In La Fortuna ( Arenal Volcano Area) we really liked "Las Brasitas", a very clean road side soda with superb food. Our kids really enjoyed it.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 05:53 PM
Iza
Original Poster

Kirstenrdh, you are welcome! Glad to hear you had a good trip. Were you able to see the volcano? We'll be trying again this year and really hope to have better luck than last time. Please post a trip report!

We are all very excited about our 3rd trip to Costa Rica. Thanks, Ally, Suzie and Anita for recommendations. I will print this thread and take along with us.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 06:14 AM

I second the Harbour Reef Hotel in Nosara. I also enjoyed my meals at the Casa Tucan (they also had a juice bar, freshly squeezed) next door to the Cafe Paris. If you are also planning on cooking yourself we were able to get some really good fresh shrimp and fish (can't remember the type)at Garza...half way between Nosara and Samara. Your 3rd trip..lucky, lucky, lucky. Have a wonderful time. Hope you post a trip report upon your return.