Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Good budget lodging choice in Chichicastenango, Guatemala?

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 02:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone out there with 1st hand knowledge of good low to mid cost lodging options in Chichi - $15-35/night double? I've read tripadvisor reports, just wanting any more experiences folks out there have to share. I realize most travelers here aren't budget travelers but I'm sure I'm not the only one. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 11:15 AM

I've been to Chichi three times in 15 years and have always stayed at the Maya Lodge. The last trip was in July 04, we had a triple room (just the two of us) and it was $31 and yes, it has a private bath.

This hotel is right on the square near the market, which is convenient for running back and dropping things off.

Have a wonderful trip,
Sandy (in Denton)
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Sandy - thanks for the input. I've looked at that one, but the only website that lists it says $60 double/$70 triple, which is double what we'd like to spend. Maybe I should call and check - they don't have their own website and the website I've seen (below) may be tacking on a huge markup.

http://www.sailing-diving-guatemala....maya-lodge.php
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 08:17 AM

I went to that website to check (to make sure it's the same hotel) . . . and FWIW, the restaurant has never been open any of the 3 times I was there!

There are lots of hotels/inns in Chichi and there will probably be several young boys meeting the buses to "help" you choose. It seems most tourists just come for the market and don't spend the night. We went the day before to watch the market being set up, shopped early the next a.m., and then left around noon to Pana. You want to shop before 10, that's when the tours arrive.

You are going to one of my favorite countries . . . I hope you love it, too.

Sandy (in Denton)
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Sandy. My husband and I first visited Guatemala in the 80's, then returned in 89 to bring home our then 4-year-old son Carlos. My only trips back to Guatemala since then have been heading over the border to visit Tikal in 2003 and a quick trip in while staying in Copan Ruinas in 2005. In other words, I haven't been to Antigua, Chichi, or Atitlan for nearly 20 years!

Usually I travel with my husband but he's taking this summer off from CA and I'm traveling with a middle-aged friend/coworker who's never traveled out of the US (and barely out of our state!). We'll be studying Spanish and volunteering with kids with disabilities (our work back home) in Nebaj for a few weeks, and I'm thinking Chichi would be a good way to break up the trip to Nebaj, which is about 4 hours further into the mountains.

We'll try to make some kind of reservation for Chichi since we'll be arriving on a Saturday afternoon. We want to do what you did - see the town a bit, watch the market come to life, and leave by late morning for points north. Happy trails!