Reload this Page >

Going to PV for the 1st time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 05:26 AM
Brenda

We will be heading to Puerta Vallarta in the Spring of 2002. We are staying at the Regina Westin. Has anyone stayed here and can tell me about the resort? Also, what are the top 5 things not to be missed in Puerta Vallarta?

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 05:56 AM
Anne-Marie

Don't miss, <BR>1)Every sunset. <BR>2)Eating out at all the great restaurants. Don't stay in the hotel even if it is all-inclusive. There are too many great places to go. Especially Le Kliff. Yes, it's where all the tourists go. Yes, it's overpriced. But the view at sunset is spectacular. <BR>3)A visit up the coast to Punta Mita <BR>4)Bus rides in town <BR>5)Meeting and getting to know the local people. <BR>Sorry haven't stayed at the Regina Westin.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 03:33 PM
Brenda

Thanks for the response Anne Marie. Are there any tours that are worth going on? I heard something about a sunset cruise to Margarite (not sure of the spelling but it was a beach starting with an M) Do you know what it is?

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Rebecca

I just got back from PV yesterday. I think a lot of the people who have written on here about Puerto Vallarta are travel agents, thus wanting you to go and not telling you the whole truths. I went in low season, which I was told numerous times that it would be fine. It was over 100 degrees and HUMID HUMID HUMID! I would tell you to go before July, as that's when it starts. It was also the rainy season with the streets flooding. It is a beautiful town. I had a blast. I wouldn't recommend driving and renting a vehicle as the roads are horribly hard to figure out for driving and the drivers are crazy! Take buses (only 3 pesos=around $30 cents) or taxis for around 30 pesos (about $3). A good tour we went on was called the tropical tour. They had a few other ones as well. If you do go on a tour, go one of the first days you go to get familiar with the city. You may at that time see things that you do, or do not want to see during your visit. You can purchase these with your agent or when you get there with all the people that are there helping. Explore the beaches (especially Mismaloya). The sunsets are beautiful!! Bargen with the locals. Go to the Malecon (boardwalk) and across the bridge to the Old Town for even better deals. It is a lot more expensive than what I was told. I really like Cheeseburgers in Paradise for a great place to eat. There are LOTS of wonderful clubs as well. I liked the Roxy for a laid back experience with live music. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 09:18 PM
Ron

We stayed at the Westin Regina a few years ago and just loved it. It had very nice rooms, good restaurants and awesome pools. Make sure you have an ocean few room. El Palmar restaurant was great for breakfast, it had an excellent buffet and also a good Sunday brunch. Garibaldi's has good seafood and is also on the ocean.Check out www.westinpv.com

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 10:23 AM
earl

I have to agree with Anne-Marie. Get out of the hotel and on the streets. There are fantastic restaurants, especially on Badillo, in old town. Meet the people, they are great and very friendly. <BR>I spend five or six weeks in Mexico each year, in fact just got back from three weeks in Puebla, Cuernavaca and DF. <BR>While I really enjoy other parts of Mexico I LOVE Vallarta. I will be back there at the end of August for two weeks. <BR>Please don't take Rebecca too seriously. My gues is that she is one of the recent high school grads that visit the town each June and July.There is much more to PV than the bar scene and dining at American owned estabnlishments. <BR>Go for it! <BR>Hasta, <BR>Earl <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 05:22 AM
Sue

I would also recommend one of the one day, all inclusive, boat trips from the Marina. We went to Los Arcos (for snorkeling), on to a village and waterfall (only accessible by boat, but sorry I've forgotten the name). When we got there we walked to the waterfall and then had a wonderful lunch on the beach. On the way home we stopped at another beach for surfing. It was a really great day.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 06:13 AM
Anne-Marie

Hi Brenda, Sorry I don't know the exact tour you are referring to, but there are all kinds of tours to take. Day tours, night tours. We did a few of the snorkelling tours over the years. Fun, and you get to see some of the different beaches. You can find out all about them in the hotel, on the street in small travel agencies. There are also some sites about P.V. that list all their tours. Just do a search.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 11:29 AM
JRinPV

List of excursions: <BR>http://vallarta-info.com/puertovalla...vallarta5.html <BR>JR

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 11:32 AM
JRinPV

Sorry <BR>http://vallarta-info.com/puertovallarta5.html <BR>JR

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Rebecca

To Earl- I am not a recent high school grad that went to PV just for partying and going to American places. I went to Mexico with the intent to explore the culture, which I thouroughly did. I had a wonderful time and was busy every day seeing new things and meeting new people. I simply put a few places that I enjoyed for Brenda to know. Some may be not as authentic "Mexican," but that doesn't mean that it wasn't a fun place to go to and check out.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 03:56 PM
Brenda

Brenda, <BR> <BR>I stayed at the Westin for my first trip. It is a really nice hotel with a great ocean view. The only bad part was that the beach isn't really a beach. It is a manmade ditch on top of rocks. <BR> <BR>You should definitely do a boat tour that includes going to John Houston's former house (I forgot the name of the tour but the travel agent at the hotel should know what it is if you mention his name). It includes dinner and a show. We spend about $45 per person and it was well worth it. <BR> <BR>The one other bad thing about the Westin is that they'll most likely try to pitch you time-share. I've warned people in the past on the web site about my experience. Whatever you do, don't ruin your vacation by wasting your time. <BR> <BR>PV is a beautiful place. Have a good/safe trip!