Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Going to Puerto Vallarta - need advice! (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/going-to-puerto-vallarta-need-advice-50252/)

Mary Aug 6th, 1999 07:44 AM

Going to Puerto Vallarta - need advice!

Hi All, <BR> <BR>My husband & I recently booked a trip to Puerto Vallarta for the fourth week in August. We LOVE Mexico but don't know too much about P.V. We are staying at the Westing Regina which is located in Marina Vallarta. Is this a good location; meaning it is easily accessible to the downtown area and other hotels? Also what is the weather like this time of year? Should we be prepared for hurricane alerts?? <BR> <BR>Any information you have on this place is appreciated. <BR> <BR>Thank you <BR> <BR>Mary

Cheryl Z. Aug 6th, 1999 10:28 AM

<BR>The marina is a nice area North of town, not too convenient to get to town, but taxi's are very cheap (and easy to get) so don't worry about it. <BR>Weather will be very hot and humid but still enjoyable. Be sure you do get into town and enjoy any of the open air restaurants with incredible views/food/ambiance, and to just walk around/browse/shop. I wouldn't worry about hurricanes. PV doesn't get alot of the storms that Acapulco or Mazatlan get, it's protected by the bay, and the mountain range. Have a great trip!

Kim Aug 6th, 1999 11:07 AM

Hi mary, I already responded the mail you send to my own e.mail adress, but still wanted to respond to Cheryl, because she says the marina is not very accesible, but i disagree, because evethough it is 12 minutes drive from downtown and there are more taxi´s than regular cars, the bus passes every 15 minutes to town in front of the hotel and takes you in 20 minutes downtown, for only $ 2.5 pesos. It runs from 6 in the morning till 10 at night, so I think the Marina area is very accesible. Cheryl, pls do not take this as unfriendly meant, because that was not my intention. Ok that was it. Kim

Mary Aug 6th, 1999 01:37 PM

Thanks Cheryl and Kim for all your information - I did, however, forget to ask one thing.....how are the beaches in the Marina area? I hope they are nice!!!!

Cheryl Z. Aug 6th, 1999 03:02 PM

<BR>Hi Kim - no, I didn't take your msg the wrong way :)). I should have been more clear myself, including info about buses too, which we've used alot and enjoy them (Often an adventure in themselves!)

kim Aug 7th, 1999 11:41 AM

Hi Cheryl and Mary, You know what was a breakthrough when I sat for the first time in a bus here in PV....that when you pass a church, the whole bus makes a cross. I thought that was funny, bu than again, I come from a non-religious country. <BR>Anyway the beaches are not good or either not there in the Marina, but if you do tours, while you stay here, there are some wonderful beaches to be found. <BR>Kim

Linda Aug 8th, 1999 08:25 AM

Hi Mary! We have been to PV several times and are going again for 2 weeks in Sept. The marina is very upscale; you'll like it there, and the Westin (not westing, sorry)Regina is a first class hotel. Alas, the beaches in the marina area are not "all that". A lot of ocean debris comes up on the beaches and they are difficult to keep cleaned up. Many of the beaches there are narrow as well. I prefer the Nuevo Vallarta area (Paradise village is really one of the BEST resorts) or the La Jolla De Mismaloya which sits right on the absolute best beach in the bay! If you do stay at the Regina, there is nothing stopping you from visiting other hotels. We make an art of it (hotel hopping). Go for lunch, shop, or take a backpack with your towels,etc, and just hang out on the beach. The weather should be hot and humid, but the nights are glorious. If I can offer any suggestions on where to go, stay, etc., email me at [email protected]