Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Going to CR for 1st time on Thursday, need advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/going-to-cr-for-1st-time-on-thursday-need-advice-580159/)

Sarcha72 Jan 9th, 2006 11:17 AM

Going to CR for 1st time on Thursday, need advice

Day 1- San Jose/Grecia - Vista del Valle Plantation Inn

ACTIVITIES IN MA: Anyone have recommendations? Is there a good place to do waterfall rappelling? Sailing/snorkeling? Would MA be a better place for the canopy tour/zip line?

Day 2 – Manuel Antonio – Hotel Villas El Parque (Makanda was sold out)

Day 3 – Manuel Antonio – Makanda by the Sea

Day 4 – Manuel Antonio – Makanda by the Sea

Drive time from MA to Arenal? I am worried about this...

Day 5 – Arenal – Tabacon Resort

ACTIVITIES IN ARENAL: Couples massage? Sky Trek canopy Tour? Reccomendations?

Day 6- San Jose/Grecia - Vista del Valle Plantation Inn (We hope to arrive just before it is dark, drive times?)

We will be near Sarchi, is it worth checking out? Our flight does not leave until late afternoon.

Melissa5 Jan 9th, 2006 12:50 PM

Sarcha72, my family very much enjoyed the Sky Trek/Sky Tram zip-lines at Arenal. We booked it upon arrival at our hotel, Lost Iguana. We also booked the Canyoning waterfall rapelling upon arrival at our hotel with Puretrek, but almost missed out on that one, good thing we had 3 nights theere, because all canyoning tours for the following day were already full, so we had to book for 2 days ahead. Waterfall canyoning rapelling is a unique experience, but the zip-lines were a better price and better value, this was my family's report. I did the reserach and booked the tours but didn't do the zip-line or canyoning, I only did the Sky Tram which takes you up to the zip-line. The rainforest at ARenal is more dense than the rainforest at Manuel Antonio, therefore I would say in my opinion it is more gorgeous, if that makes any difference to you. But it's easier to see monkeys in Manuel Antonio because, again, the forest is less dense! Dense forest means beautiful and lush, but also more places for animals to hide. The zip-lines are really about a thrill ride, they are not really wildlife viewings, for that you need to hike.

Have fun!

sandyc Jan 9th, 2006 04:35 PM

There's a fabulous place to do waterfall rappelling not far from Arenal in San Lorenzo. It's connected w/ Valle Escondidos, but you'll see it all from the road. There's a big wide open canopy tour too.

Don't bother snorkeling in MA -- it's not good there.

Sandy

Jayneann Jan 9th, 2006 05:48 PM

We just got back from Arenal last week and did the Sky Trek ziplines. We loved it!!!

Can't imagine how any other zipline except maybe the one in Monteverde rivaling this one. The views overlooking Lake Arenal and the volcano were awesome!!! Book it ahead of time on line to insure a spot. (www.Skytrek.com)

We did not rappel, but talked to a few people who did and loved it!! They did Pure Trek.

Arenal from Manuel Antonio: Took us 6 hours but we stopped for a long leisurely lunch.

Have a great time!!!!

TXgalinGA Jan 10th, 2006 07:20 AM

We stayed at Makanda just 2 weeks ago. Our fav restaurant was Karolas, right up the hill on the main road. Left side.
We also enjoyed Canapy Safari. My main complaint was waaaaaay too many people on our tour. Like almost 45-50. So check that out before you book. Have a great time!

MarciaM Jan 12th, 2006 05:21 PM

imho, Sarchi is not worth a trip. It just has souvenir shops. I'd stay at Vista Del Valle and just enjoy the atmosphere and good food there. Maybe a horseback ride through the village and coffee plantations. You'll love it.

Marcia

doreenwol Jan 13th, 2006 04:50 AM

sandyc - I did a search for the rappelling with Valle Escondidos and didn't come up with anything (at least in English). Do you have any other info, better than Pure Trek? We have 9 people, so its kind of pricey!
Did you hear anything about the Venado Caves or Danaus Center?
Doreen

cb303 Jan 13th, 2006 08:47 AM

i'd say that the MA > fortuna drive will probably be a good 5-6 hours.

in arenal, i'd recommend actually hiking within the national park itself. most of the tours usually take you to a private reserve of some sort that is a bit farther away from the park. the hike isn't difficult, and it's fun to actually climb over old lava flows, etc.

but also definitely make sure to check the volcano out at night (from outside the park)...incredible...

you can usually negotiate group discounts, and people will nearly always give you a 5-10% discount if you pay in cash.