Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Going to Cancun soon - anything that I absolutely shouldn't miss?

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never been to Cancun and would like recommendations on what to do and see in the daytime and for night time entertainment. Anything that I absolutely shouldn't miss?
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 01:22 PM

Are you really sure you want to go to Cancun? It is Las Vegas in the middle of a very humid jungle. There is nothing even vaguely foreign about this place--it is totally modern sleaze and glitz. The smell of pesticide hangs over the entire city, and we saw not one living non-human thing in 10 days(no lizards, not even an ant). The scuba diving is very disappointing--pretty much everything out there is dead, no coral. Beaches are nice. I didn't partake of the night life but my daughters (in their 20s, both very pretty) said it was gross--drunk, slobbering pale middle-aged fat men groping any women who were even marginally attractive, none of whom would go away when asked. They came home early disgusted. What we all did enjoy and would do again is go out of town to Playa del Carmen, a very nice beach town which still seems Mexican, very laid back, friendly and where the snorkeling and diving are still pretty good. If I went back to Cancun it would only be as far as the airport to get somewhere else. It is a dump.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 07:43 PM

I've just returned from my 15th trip to Cancun. I read nkeane's message, and I guess it's different strokes for different folks. The hotel zone most definitely is americanized, but I would not consider it sleaze in any sense of the word. I've never smelled pesticides in the air any of the times I've been there, it's nowhere near being a dump and I have never been groped by anyone there. Downtown Cancun is absolutely charming, as is Isla Mujeres. I've never been scuba diving, but really enjoyed snorkeling off Isla Mujueres. Have a wonderful trip! If you want additional info on hotels, restaurants, etc., let me know.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 03:22 AM

nkeane - give poor luckylady a BREAK!
What are you trying to do - ruin her holiday? She's already going and no doubt very excited.
Lucky, I, like Helena, have been to Cancun many times, and in fact am leaving soon for 3 weeks in Playa Del Carmen, Cancun, Isla Mujeres and Cozumel.
The beaches and water there are some of the most beautiful in the Caribbean, and there are loads of excellent restaurants, shops in downtown Cancun, and interesting places that are all easily done in a day trip - Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen, Chichen Izta, Tulum, etc.
There are some neat nightclubs - Azucar for salsa, Cat's for reggae, Liquid and Christine's and La Boom for NYC or Miami style clubbing. (I've found that all over Mexico, men of all nationalities will leave you alone if you do not encourage them, and I've NEVER heard of anyone getting groped outside of drunken college girls on spring break - probably by drunken college boys.)
Plus, going to the classier places helps.
I also have NEVER smelled any pesticides when I've been to Cancun.
It sounds like more research should have been done by nkeane prior to going since it was obviously such a wrong choice for a trip that sounds like 10 days of he// for the entire family.
Have a great time Lucky!
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 08:27 AM

Lucky
Dont be deterred by the naysayers.And yes there are plenty.I go to Cancun 4 or 5 times a year.Mainly THE BEACH!Of course.There's lots to do.Just remember--what I tell anyone I know who's going cuz they seem to forget.Always always wherever you go, negotiate the taxi fare BEFORE you get into the taxi!!Dont let the driver get you into the car b4 you have agreed on a price.The front desk clerks are knowledgeable and always more than happy to tell you how much to expect to pay to go from where you are staying to where you are going.Its that simple.Here are some good websites,IMHO....
www.explorecancun.com
www.allaboutcancun.com
www.vtourist.com
Hasta LaVista,Baby!!Buen Viaje a Todos!
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 09:53 AM

just returned and am going back... do not miss the ruins
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 11:47 AM

For shopping I would definitely stay away from the vendors directly across from Hard Rock. Mercado 23,in the city, off the main beach area, was much better. The vendors were friendly, easy to bargain with, not annoying like the other area.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 12:56 PM

Cancun is HORRIBLE! I went there for 5 days when I was an undergrad at Dartmouth. I was young and immature, so I didn't know any better. When I look back (this was 13 years ago), I have to say Cancun is Dollywood with sun and a beach. My sister and her husband went about 3 years ago. I told them not to bother, but they wouldn't listen. My sister said it was the WORST vacation she ever had. However, my friend, Nicki, loves Cancun and she goes every other year with her husband. Watch out for the fat Canadian men with hairy backs in Speedos.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 01:42 PM

Dear Lucky:

Wasn't planning on posting but when I saw the nonsense I had to put my 2 cents worth in. I go to Mexico about 3 times a year. I have been to Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. Cancun is my favorite but all three have their own distinctive charm. Cancun is more "touristy" than the other two in the sense that there are several large resorts built up and down what is referred to as the "hotel zone." But they are beautiful resorts and I still felt like I was in a foreign country. Cancun has great bus service CHEAP to take you wherever you want to go. In all the times I've been I've never been groped but middle-aged fat slobbery men and I have never seen a hairy Canadian in a Speedo!

As for things to do, the Junge Tour is a very popular tour and quite fun. You drive your own 2-person speed boat or jet ski out to a reef and snorkel around for about 30 minutes or so. Costs is $45 per person and well worth it. A day trip to Isla Mujeres is also enjoyable. You can usually book those through the tour desk at your hotel. The ruins at Chichen-Itza or Tulum are very interesting and can also be booked through your hotel. The Chichen-Itza tour makes for a very long day but is definitely worth it. Tulum is closer. Some people like to go to X-Caret. I don't particularly care for it mainly because it's too pricey for what you get. But it is probably a fun one-time thing to do. It depends on your budget.

I hope you have a wonderful trip. I know you will enjoy it. The beaches and the turquoise water are absolutely breathtaking. I look forward to each of my trips every year.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 02:09 PM

Maybe you have already gone? - Your post was 3/11. We would love to hear from you. I'm stunned at the negative responses - I have never been and am STILL very much looking forward to our trip. Thousands and Thousands cant be all wrong? Each person has their own idea of a perfect vacation. I am expecting all the resorts "Las Vegas" in the sand - I can enjoy that as well as signing up for an Eco-Tour and Ruins & Diving etc. - I think it will be a PERFECT mix. Enjoy - and we want to hear all about your experiences too.
Cindy