Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Getting married in the Yucatan Peninsula, any suggestions, tips, or warnings? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/getting-married-in-the-yucatan-peninsula-any-suggestions-tips-or-warnings-342066/)

zurielle Jul 28th, 2003 03:27 PM

Getting married in the Yucatan Peninsula, any suggestions, tips, or warnings?

My fiance and I are looking into getting married and honeymooning somewhere in the Yucatan peninsula. Our ideal wedding would be elegant and in a beautiful beach setting. Preferably it would be in a somewhat non-touristy location.
We would love to hear any suggestions, tips, pre-cautions and stories you might have!
Thanks!

rabano Jul 28th, 2003 08:06 PM

Zurielle,
Besides the beach area, are you looking for something quiet or can it be a populated area, just not too touristy?
Stay away from cancun, its too busy and crowded.
I am very partial to Playa Del Carmen. Just a beautiful Bohemian style small city, with all the modern necessities, and it has plenty of beach.
The beach has several hotels, but still very romantic.
I have also seen a wedding take place on the beach, and it did look memorably romantic.
If you are looking for a sunset wedding, then you may want to look on the westend of the penninsula, but again I go back to playa del carmen. There are some areas of the beach which are still not too populated, but you will see the area of the hotels that border the beach.
Playa Del Carmen has a pedestrian mall "La Quinta" which is lined with several hotels. Some seem very expensive, but also very beautiful, while others are very reasonable but not as luxurious.
Either way, my recommendation is Playa Del Carmen.
And there are several other attractions nearby (1 to 4 hours away)
Cozumel, is an island just off of Playa Del Carmen, and is very quaint and yet has a small tourist area. Beaches are nice, and if you are into diving, its suppose to be a great spot.
Congratulations!
And good luck!

Dorgal Jul 29th, 2003 02:13 AM

We stayed at the Shangri-La Caribe in Playa Del Carmen in March and there was a beautiful wedding there. This place could be perfect for what you want. We loved it there.

RobertSDF Jul 29th, 2003 05:34 AM

You might also want to check the website for Tres Rios--it is a beautiful eco-park on the Mayan Riviera that offers wedding planning. Another suggestion would be Cozumel. www.cozumelweddings.net is an excellent site for planning.
Hope this helps!

mayte Jul 29th, 2003 12:44 PM

I recommend contacting Steve Ryberg at the Playa-Maya hotel in Playa del Carmen. Its right on the beach, centrally located and not a huge hotel-25 rooms. It even has a honeymoon suite. Steve can assist with all the arrangements. Let me know if you have any questions or contact me, be happy to help.

suze Jul 30th, 2003 08:57 AM

As I mentioned on a similar question for Puerto Vallarta, you might want to check into the legal details of marriage in Mexico (for non-Mexican citizens). It is somewhat complicated, and takes a bit of time.

Certainly it can be done, but some people choose to do the business-end at home, then vacation to Mexico for a ceremony and/or party there.