Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Galapogos Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/galapogos-islands-674184/)

roz Jan 27th, 2007 06:56 AM

Galapogos Islands

I'm thinking going to the Galapagos Islands in April or May. I could use some advice about which islands have the most wildlife; should I take a boat tour--if so, for how long? Are the waters rough at this time of year? Is the better option to stay at a hotel and take day trips? Has anyone stayed at Las Palmas?

Can anyone recommend a tour company?

I would be visiting Machu Picchu as well. Should I go there first and then Galapogos, or the other way around?

Any help you can give me would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Roz

sceneisle Jan 27th, 2007 08:19 AM

Roz: We visited the Galapagos on a 7-day cruise (Celebrity's Xpedition) and were very happy with our decision. We were able to visit nine islands; each seemingly different with respect to the topography and wildlife. IMO, the downside to staying at a resort and taking day trips is that you will be spending valuable day time, traveling to the various islands (the Xpedition, like other tour boats/cruise ships sail at night, allowing maximum time on each island). If you opt to stay at a hotel, I would recommend Isla Santa Cruz, home to the Darwin Research Center. While on that island I noticed there were many outfits that were offering day trips to four or five different islands. We sailed in June and the waters seemed to be fairly calm; but then again, we were on one of the largest ships in the Galapagos.

Percy Jan 27th, 2007 05:15 PM

You should contac Martin at

guide2galapagos.com

His tour company is in Quito Ecuador and he handled all the details of my trip, which was as smooth as glass!!!

I would do Michu Picchu first and on your way back , do the Galapagos.
Percy

atravelynn Feb 2nd, 2007 02:53 PM

Roz,

A boat tour is standard. You can do day trips from the islands, but that plan is used more for those who wish to avoid a boat-based trip.

Waters are rougher in August and that time of year than in April or May. I've gone in late Apr and early Aug. Take Bonine or similar to prevent sea sickness problems. Apr/May is a good time. The frigate birds will be inflating their red chests then. It is quite hot so the water will be a tad warmer for snorkeling. You’ll still need a wetsuit. Only Jan-Mar has an absence of species. That’s when the Waved Albatross are out to sea.

I've used Galapagos Travel.
[email protected]
http://www.galapagostravel.com

They specialize in longer trips that spend 11 or more days in the islands for about 2 weeks of travel. Barry Boyce is the owner and has a book <u>A Traveler’s Guide to the Galapagos</u> that is full of excellent info. Get the book no matter who you travel with.

Any 7 day itinerary would take you to the key islands with the most wildlife. Be sure to include Hood/Espanola, but it's always on the itinerary. For the red footed boobies go to Tower/Genovesa. Tower is sometimes omitted in itineraries.

OAT has been doing Galapagos and Machu Pichu for years. Here’s a report on them.
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34789730

A company I’ve done 3 non-Galapagos nature trips with--Natural Habitat--does Galapagos and Machu Pichu. I just got their catalog and they have now started offering something different in the Galapagos. On the day to Santa Cruz Island you can be transported into the highlands where wild tortoises roam. I’ve done that and spent the afternoon, returning back to the boat after dark. But Nat Hab now has tents you can stay in so you spend the night in the highlands and have the next morning to see the wild tortoises as well. That would be cool.

International Expeditions also does Galapagos and Machu Pichu.

Good luck in your trip planning.

ozlock Feb 17th, 2007 12:01 PM

Nothing for you on Galapagos, but for Machupicchu I would recommend Amazing Peru tour company. They were perfect. If you need more detailed info email me at [email protected]

2136 Apr 20th, 2007 06:20 PM

My family and I went on a Galapagos cruise on the Letty, one of the Ecoventura boats and a sister ship to the Flamingo and the Eric.

3 out of 4 members of my family and 7 out of 22 people on the boat contracted a stomach virus with symptoms including fever, diarrhea and vomiting.

I would stay away from those boats.

travilbug May 11th, 2007 05:09 AM

We were in the Galapogos a few years ago at the same time. Great time to see the wildlife, trying to mate like mad. The water is cold but we managed to go without wetsuits, but we are well padded which may have helped.

I would recommend the boat trip, as it does save time. We were on the Beagle and saw wonderful islands and sights.

We also went to Machu Picchu. We did it first but I suppose it depends on your starting place, we were heading home so it made sense. We stayed in the small down at the bottom of the hill, and it was a great experience. Enjoy

BillJ May 11th, 2007 07:33 PM

Trying to plan ahead which islands to see is tough. Itineraries can be changed at a moments notice by the park service or conditions.
I cannot imagine not doing the tour on a boat. You would otherwise spend lots of time each day back tracking to home base.
The smaller boats may get into areas not available to the larger boats. But that does not guarantee you will see more/better things.
Whatever islands you end up seeing, it will be awesome, as there is unique wildlife and plant life on each island.
I just returned after a week on Linblad Islander. Fantastic.