Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Galapagos/Quito - clothing? email? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/galapagos-quito-clothing-email-359807/)

ktsharon Sep 19th, 2003 11:14 AM

Galapagos/Quito - clothing? email?

We leave in a week for a cruise on the Legend. I gather we need only very informal clothes, even at dinner, but what about Quito restaurants -- tie and jacket?

Does the Legend provide email access? and or is there a cheap way to be in touch with the States via cell, phone or internalt card from Ecuador? (I KNOW -- we are on vacation, but it is really necessary that we are able to reach home)

Is the altitude in Quito bothersome? Do we need to take any precautions?

peg Sep 19th, 2003 12:02 PM

hi there:

We leave in a week also for Ecuador. I cannot help you with the ship, as we are on a 16 passenger boat and it is casual at all times.

I think there are internet cafe's in Quito, or your hotel might provide internet access. I use my AT&T phone card, it is not that cheap though, but does make it easy to reach home. One call from Thailand cost me $12.00 for a minute. Good news it got cheaper after that minute.

I have heard mixed reports about the altitude. I have gathered that I think it is going to depend on the person as to how it effects.

Percy Sep 19th, 2003 01:47 PM

Hi
I just got back from Quito and the Galapagos on Septembver 3rd.
At Quito restaurant I just wore slack and shirt and sweater, I did not bring a sports jacket and tie as I was heading for the Galapagos .
At the hotel I was at (Hotel Quito) the e-mail was free.!! I was prepared to pay for it but the fellow said "No, 24 hours a day the office is open and you can use the computer all you want"

I saw the Legends but I was on the Isabella 2.The Legends looked very nice.
On the Isabella 2, we cold use the email from the Yacht but it was $4.38/per e mail. Still cheaper than a phone call.
On our yacht the Purser had a laptop and I had to use this( first time I used a laptop!
You probably know know but when you are using the e-mail in Quito or the Galapagos and you have to type in that litte @( "a" with a circle around it), this is what you do: Press and hold down the ALT key , then type 64,and you will get the (@), this is helpful,when there is no one around and you are wondering how on this part Spanish keyboard to get @ !!!!
I would not say the altitude in Quito is bothersome, BUT let me tell you it gets coooool in the evenings, you will need a heavy sweater and or jacket.
Quito is at a very high altitude so it is much cool than other places like Quayaquil.
If you are not stayin ina hotel in Quito then like Peg says there are internet cafes.
If you have a phone card like AT&T or Bell South or whatever , it would be wise tocall themwhile you are in the USA and ask them how you have to dial out from Quito to get to the USA and your home states.
Your Country number may be 011,ours is 001( Canada).
For exmaple here is how I called to Quito from Canada: 001(my country number)
+ 593(Ecuador country code)
+2 ( Quito area code)
Now the number you want in Quito.
You acess code for the USA is 011.

If you are going to go into the Country side of Quito, then bring something warm and just throw it in the back seat.
If you are going to Cotopaxi the volcano area ,then take my word for it dress warm,when you are almost three miles up in altitude,it is cold and windy.
It is warm at the Galapagos..it was 86F the day we arrived, then cooled down to between 78-82F
Bring antinausea pills and some Bonamine for motion sickness.
At the Galapagos on your yacht I am sure everything is as casual as it was on the Isabella 2.
Do not drink a lot of water BEFORE you go on your tours from the Legends, give yourself ample time to go to the bathroom...there are NO bathrooms on the islands and the Naturalist Guides will not let you sneak behind a bush or anything.!!
Okay , so what do I do if I have to go!??,Well you go back to the panga( boat ) and he will take you back to the Legends and wait for you and then bring you back!!!Not exactly what you want to do in the middle of a tour!

Both of you take care and have a nice time
Percy

ktsharon Sep 20th, 2003 06:54 AM

thanks, both your emails were great help.

jojosm33 Sep 21st, 2003 07:44 PM

I was on the Legend this past May. Great ship! If Juan Carlos is working (Guide) get him, as he's the best! There is no internet on the boat. Took me a while to get over that one, they just told me to relax, you're on vacation! The boat is very casual, many times I had bare feet along with my shorts and T-shirt in the dining room.
They say you can call home from the ship, but of course it's expensive. In all the cities and towns, they have internet cafes. I stayed on Baltra Island one day after the cruise, and spent a lot of time at the internet cafe. Very cheap!
You only need shorts and T-Shirts on the boat, in Quito maybe slacks and a shirt. No problem with altitude in Quito, but I was just there for the evening.
You will have a great time! The ship is awsome! Everyone is so friendly. It was planned as my dream vacation, and it was! Please, ask any questions you like! Have a great time!

Joanne

Percy Sep 22nd, 2003 06:36 PM

Hi jojosm33

I found your information about the Legends helpful when I did my trip to the Galapagos.
Even though I was on a different yacht,many things were in common.
Thank you

Percy

jojosm33 Sep 23rd, 2003 02:07 PM

Percy,
I'm glad I could help! Others here helped me also, so I was prepared. It's a vacation of a lifetime, it should be perfect! Now I'm planning my Alaska vacation! I think I may go back some day. Maybe I'll learn Spanish and volunteer at the Darwin Research Center for a yr! Hey, do you have any good photos from your trip? I have a lot, maybe we could trade.
Joanne

Percy Sep 23rd, 2003 03:44 PM

Hi jojo
Yes, I also tired to help others when I got back from the Galapagos, many other have certainly helped me with their posted experiences.

Yes I took 72 pictures and bought about a dozen postcards. There was no end to taking pictures , so I just paced myself.

I went on an Alaska cruise on June 29th for a week.
Flew to Vancouver and then boarded the Royal Caribbean, but you will have to wait until next year as I think the ships are re positioning back to the Caribbean.
Very lovely country in Alaska, I would go back again next year for a week...to some different ports.
My e -mail address is [email protected]
Take care
percy

Deloris Jan 3rd, 2004 06:02 PM

What is the altitude of Quito?

Percy Jan 4th, 2004 01:01 PM

You know Martin told me and I forgot.
Iwill e mail him right now and hoepfully get the answer soon
Percy

Percy Jan 4th, 2004 05:42 PM

Deloris:
Okay, got it.

The altitude in Quito is 9,500 feet above sea level !!!!
This can be a little tough on some people.
I had no problem touring the country side and area of Quito, and I am from Canada.( Alberta)
Percy