Search

Galapagos in June

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2005, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Galapagos in June

Anyone from Ecuador on this board who can enlighten me. I am going with a group on a 7 day cruise of Galapagos in June. We have had several setbacks due to things beyond our control.

1. Baltra airport closed for repair when we are to arrive. Changed itinerary and are flying into another island. No Problem.
2. Ship in dry dock for 6 weeks immediately prior to our boarding. Hoping it comes out on time.
3. Quito airport closed when we were to arrive due to repair we were told by the airline. So our land tour had to be switched to the end of the trip rather than beginning. Again, no problem.

But with all of this happening I'm wondering if we are there in LOW season or DEAD season or what. Does this happen every year in May/June?

Anyone that has any insight please respond.
Also, if anyone has been on the Legend, do people dress up at all at night - casual elegance - or just CASUAL?

Thanks.
Sue
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:31 PM

Hi Sue:

Boy ,if it was not for bad luck you would have no luck at all!!!

Let me answer some questions in random order:

Quito airport will be closing permanently in the near future , a new one is to be opened, as the present one is right in the middle of Quito.

Baltra Airport is the Army Airbase airport that you were going to fly to..I just do not know what other airport you are flying to unless it is on Santa Cruz.

About the season...there is never a bad time to go to the Galapagos, I was there is late August/ early September and I was told they have a steady stream of traffic year long !

I have not toured on the Legends, I have seen it and it looks good from the outside.

No , everything is casual.
I was on the Isabella 2, and it was a luxury class but we wore shorts always, even to the dinning room ,which I must add was pretty fancy.

You can contact Martin Slader at Sangay Tours in Quito, and ask him any question you have.

Tell him Percy said you would help me.

[email protected]

Have a nice time.
This is a trip of a lifetime

Percy
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:10 PM

Baltra was closed for repairs when I was there in April a few years ago.

June is a great time to go. Between wet and dry seasons. More sun in the wet season and a little cloudier in dry, though that seems to be illogical. I've been there in both and it's great whenever you can visit.

No bad time to be in Galapagos and no low season. Jan-Mar the waved albatross are gone, so I'd avoid that time, and you have.

Not familiar with Legend. You'll see amazing sights!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your responses. This was suppose to be posted to the Ecuador board, but somehow got here. Glad you guys found it.

I hate to bother the guy at Sangay, Percy, since I've booked elsewhere. Don't like to waste professionals time if I'm not giving them the business!

We are really looking forward to this so am keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well. Thanks again for your input!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:18 PM

No it doesn't happen every May/June!

I was there in May last year and flew from Quito to San Cristobal island for the start of our cruise and back to Quito from Baltra. TAME operates daily scheduled flights to both islands. I believe there are also a few other airstrips on other islands but I don't know which ones. I'm pretty sure you'll fly into San Cristobal since Baltra is closed.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:55 PM

Uh oh . . . I'm planning to visit the Galapagos in January . . . how bad will it be that I won't see the albatrosses? It is a BIG deal? I was under the impression that Jan was the "best" month to go.

Thanks,
Sandy (in Denton)
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:43 PM

Sandy,
I believe the waved albatross are only on certain islands. We saw them on Espanola, I'm not sure which are the other islands. So if you want to see them you have to make sure not only to go at the right time of year but also to choose an itinerary which will stop at one of these islands. That said, I don't think that it's a REALLY big deal. You'll see plenty of birds and animals any time of year, perhaps different ones or different behaviors. I really don't think there is a bad time to go. In the summer months (Jan-Mar), both the air and water temperatures are at their warmests. We went in May and actually enjoyed the alternating warm/sunny days with cooler/cloudy days, but definitely felt like a wetsuit was needed for snorkeling. I thought May was a great time to go (and offers low season airfare and cruise prices), though upon hearing of Percy's blue footed boobie chick sightings in August, I must admit I had a twinge of jealously At least I got to snorkel with sea lion pups!

Each month has its positives and negatives and I think it would be difficult to define a best or worst period.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:39 PM

You are right Patty , each month has its delights.
I was there when all the birds were hatching...lucky me!!

I was so thrilling to come right up to the birds with their newborns and they just look at you...they have no fear of man, ,you could touch them BUT of course you are not allowed to.

Trvlingal:

No Martin would not mind at all answering any of your questions, he is only too happy to help.

You do not have to book with him.
I can assure you he would be happy to hear from you.

Tell him Percy told you to write and also add,"By the way Percy is still waiting for a picture of the new addition to your family last month "!!!

This way you will get all your information and I will get my picture sooner!!!

Patty is right Espanola is a great bird Island..but like she said you will see many birds on other Islands also.

It it just that you will not see all those chicks hatching of all those Boobies ,Lava Gulls, Galapagos Hawks etc...Oh well, we cannot all be lucky !!(LOL)

Percy
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:41 PM

sandy b

Other than the waved albatross, all other species should be around and you'll see plenty of interesting birds and lizards.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:24 AM

Check with Tame's Website as to the available of the airport on San Cristobal Island. We are going to the
Galapagos on July 3rd.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 02:07 PM

We just returned from the Galapagos, sailed on Celebrity's X-pedition 06/26 thru 07/03. Baltra airport was still closed....we flew from Quito to the island of San Cristobal, via TAME Airlines. The Galapagos Islands are something special!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 07:06 AM

I'm going on the Celebrity Xpedition in a week (9/25). Our itinerary says we fly to Baltra, but since the airport is closed, does Celebrity pick you up at San Cristobal?
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 12:28 PM

Does anyone have any information on the MILLENIUM Catamaran or the Archipele for a Galapagos tour?

Or any info on Bertini Travel?

Hope to book a tour soon for APRIL 2006.

Thank you,

[email protected]
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 12:51 PM

vikiv,
I sailed on the Archipel last year. I posted some photos and comments in this thread -

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34502296

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

I don't know anything about the Millenium catamaran or Bertini Travel. I booked through Sangay Touring in Quito.

Hope this helps.