Galapagos Clothes in October

Sep 19th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Galapagos Clothes in October

We are leaving for the Galapagos on Oct 13 and are definitely looking forward to this wonderful trip. I've started thinking about what clothes to pack. I understand that the weather in mid October is a maximum of 78 and a minimum of 68. On many Fodor's posts, people indicated that wore shorts all day and in the evening. When I consider the air temperature plus the wind factor, this does not seem like "shorts" weather to me, especially in the evening. Has anyone been there in mid-October and can offer some personal experience?

Also, we are going with Lindblad which is a 80 passenger boat and tends to attract active people over 55. I know the dress is casual, but there is a wide range in "casual." During dinner, do people wear the same type of clothes they wore during the day or do they tend to dress up more? Any clues you have would be extremely helpful as I often overpack and would really like to avoid doing that again.
Sep 19th, 2004, 12:08 PM

Every company touring Galapagos provides its participants with a packing list. If Lindblad did not then it is something wrong with this company. Did you contact them, did you do research? Please, Evelyn, do your homework
Sep 19th, 2004, 01:30 PM
peg

We were there beginning of October last year. The sun was out everyday, not a cloud in the sky, and yes I wore shorts and tank tops. The weather at night though was chilly, and I wore a sweatshirt and long pants every night. If I remember correctly there really wasn't much of a breeze on the islands, except on top of the cliffs. I thought it perfect weather.

I cannot help you with dinner, because we wore very casual clothes.

Hope this helps. Just to let you know if you are spending any time in Quito it will be colder and rainy.
Sep 19th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I have done my homework. Your response sounds a bit nasty which is uncalled for and rude.

I will receive a general list from Lindblad, plus I did some web surfing and found some general packing lists. My questions were very specific about clothing in October and not general clothing lists. Posters on Fodors and other sites indicated that shorts were the daytime attire, but with 78 as a high in October I question those comments for my trip. I wonder if they went during warmer seasons. I will call the company on Monday, but have found most tour companies just give their canned speech.

In the evenings, "casual" attire is the rule. However, that could mean from blue jeans to silk pants. Percy said he wore shorts every evening, but he went during warmer weather and on a much smaller boat.
Sep 19th, 2004, 05:01 PM

Hi evelyntrav

I went in late August into early September.

The weather was terrific.

I am sure that one month later( in Ocotber) you will be wearing shorts, like Peg mentioned.

If you have a sweater for the evening this should be fine.

I am sure you have done your research,but even then , it is nice to have someone assure you that all will be fine.

For example , the average temperature for the Galapagos was about 76-80F when I was going .
But when I a got off the plane it was 86 F and rising !!!, to me it was like walking into an oven getting off the plane .!!

I have to say that I wore shorts all the time. Never put on a pair of long pants...never had to.

I was on a very nice Yacht and the dinning room was absolutely super,nice mahogany walls, linen table clothes etc., yet many of us wore short tothe dinning room. You did not feel out of places nor under dressed.

I mean this is a Galapagos Trip , not one of those Caribbean ones !!. They want you to be comfortable all the time...there is no dress up.

Many time after the afternnon island trip,whenwe got back, we would all have a shower(at least I hope we all did!!),

then we would change our top but still wear the same shorts we did for the afternoon island walk...you can change into another pair of shorts if you want.

In the evening time ,one lady from England wore long slacks to the loung .

So long slacks if you want ..sure, but a dress.. hmmm , not really evelyntrav.

However I am sure in your group there will be others who might change into a dress...some ladies might want to eat in a dress..that's okay.

In our group at dinner , if someone wanted to wear a Tux( heaven forbid) then fine (of course none did), I still would have worn my shorts.!!

Have a nice time evelyntrav...you will be just fine.

PS. Peg , say Hi to "GW" in Washing DC for me.

Percy

Sep 20th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your sharing your October thoughts and experiences. When I saw those average maximum temperatures, I was surprised. So I will take shorts.

I called Lindblad this morning and got their take on the weather and evening dress. It seems that few in this group wear shorts in the evening, but dress mostly in chino-type pants and even dress slacks. I suspected this from the photos on brochure that was sent to me. But I will leave my sequined ballgowns and Mahlo Blaniks (spelling?) at home.
Sep 20th, 2004, 07:37 AM

Yep,
Slacks and shorts will be fine.

Have a nice time and say Hi to the Blue Footed Boobies for me.

Percy

Sep 23rd, 2004, 03:13 PM
peg

Actually, Percy was on one of the larger boats, I was on the smaller one. I don't understand why you question the comments on the attire we wore in October from the other posts. Why would I say that I wore shorts when I didn't. Besides, you are in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, I don't think the sea lions care if you have Manolo's or Ked's.

I would like to make a general comment about weather questions, because I have answered them for Costa Rica and Belize a while ago on this forum. Here's the problem, the weather is never the same. I hardly answer weather questions because you can't answer for the weather in the future. For example, it was 86 when Percy was in the Galapagos, I was there in off season a month later and it was in the 80's, but that was last year. Same went for Costa Rica, Percy was there a year after I was, and his weather was a bit nicer. So it might be 60 degrees when someone goes to a country where we wore shorts every day a year ago. If you are asking about a specific time of year, you are going to get answers from people who were there a year ago. No one can be acurate on the weather.

So please when asking a weather question be prepared for a generalized answer.
Sep 23rd, 2004, 03:25 PM

Peg of course is correct.
Weather is so variable.

After leaving Quito for the Galapagos,I had no idea it was going to be that hot.

When I left Quito it was 68 F and when I got to the Galapagos Airport it was
86 F... I just did not expect to have such a contrast.

In short summary:

They is never a bad time to go to the Galapagos and you will never freeze there.. so enjoy.

Percy