Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

From Cancun to Chichen Itza during a 1-day cruise stop

Nov 9th, 2003, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

We're scheduled to stop in Cancun during a cruise on 11/21 from 9am to 5pm. What would be the best way to visit Chichen Itza independently in a timely, efficient & cost effective manner? Where does the ship dock in comparison to the city? Is it best to rent a car (near the dock?), take a bus, or taxi? Thanks for the quick input!
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:08 AM

don't try -- you won't make it. My recollection is that it is 3 hours each way. At best, you'll have only a very short time at Chichen Itza before you have to turn around.

Go to Tulum instead.
Nov 10th, 2003, 06:16 AM

The last post is correct--you will not make Chichen Itza on a cruise stop. First, I know of no ships that stop in Cancun since they have no cruise ship pier. I would suspect, they are either going to Playa del Carmen (and taking you ashore by small boat) or docking at Cozumel where most ships dock. In either case, not enough time for Chichen Itza!
Enjoy the cruise.

Nov 10th, 2003, 05:42 PM

Your probably docking in Cozumel. Which has a very nice dock.
Like the others said, you don't have a chance of going there and seeing the place and getting back by 5.00PM
Percy
Nov 10th, 2003, 07:21 PM

I agree with previous replys, you will not have enough time for Chichen Itza. If you dock on the island of Cozumel and take a private speed boat (cheap, but bargain first) to the Yucatan coast you can have lunch and see Tulum, pretty but not much. Nothing compared to Chichen Itza.
If you dock at Playa del Carmen, check out renting a car and driving to Coba, an amazing, huge, mostly unexcavated Mayan city-state, without tourists. You will need a guide and can lunch at Villa Arqueologica at the site.
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. Actually the ship sets anchor off Cancun, and passengers are ferried to shore by tenders. So can we still rent a car and make it to Chichen Itza? On the same trip we will also go to Cozumel, during which we intend to rent a car in PDC and drive to Tulum (not enough time for Coba). Maybe it's more worthwhile to drive from Cancun to Coba instead of Chichen Itza?
JWETMORE thanks for speed boat tip in Cozumel. Does it just take us to PDC, or straight down to Tulum? Which price should we bargain for?
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:53 AM

by whatever means you try, there is no way you will make Chichen Itza, so forget about that idea. Even Coba is a little far. Tulum is doable, though, by collectivo or by private car. I agree with the other poster, however -- it's not much. Would not be popular at all, were it not for the spectacular setting.
Nov 12th, 2003, 03:53 PM

Not worth it to go to Chichen-Itza...Niskyboss says 3 hours, it seemed like 4.5 to me, but anyhow, enjoy the beaches and Playa del Carmen. If you're looking to see ruins go to Tulum.
Nov 13th, 2003, 08:40 AM

Agree about Chitzen Itza. Also think Tulum is worth seeing as it is the only Mayan city built seaside and the views are wonderful.