Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   For you Mexico haters out there (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/for-you-mexico-haters-out-there-174698/)

Mexico Lover Jan 18th, 2003 12:29 PM

For you Mexico haters out there

After reading several posts from people trying to dissuade a girl and her friends from going to Cabo San Lucas, I just had to write in. I am an American girl living in Mexico City, known as "the most dangerous city in the world" by some. I have been to Cabo, Cancun, Acapulco, and everywhere in between. For those of you who said that there are drugs, rapes, and STDs in Cabo...NO KIDDING! News flash guys, every city in the world has these problems, big or small. When you travel to an unknown place, you need to be careful--period. If you don't want to go to a city/resort/foreign destination because it has problems, you might as well stay in your house for the rest of your life.

sandy Jan 18th, 2003 04:02 PM

Thank you Mexico Lover! You are absolutely right . . . sh*t happens everywhere, not just in Mexico and Central America.<BR><BR>I live near Dallas and my daughter used to live in DC, two of the most dangerous cities in the US . . . we are in much more danger where we live than when we travel!<BR><BR>Central/South America and Mexico are my very most favorite travel destinations and it pains me to keep reading all these negative posts about how bad/dangerous they are.<BR><BR>I don't especially like Cancun because it's not &quot;really&quot; Mexico . . . it's a USA resort replicated in Mexico, the whole economy there is based on US$$. It was built solely for tourists and where there is lots of money, there is crime . . . same the world over.<BR><BR>Travel is about new places, new experiences, different foods, different cultures . . . you've just got to remember to be careful no matter where you are and to use common sense.<BR><BR>

suzy Jan 18th, 2003 06:11 PM

Clapping my hands in saying right on to Sandy and Mexico Lover. Common sense is the key. I too love Mexico and have been going there for 15 years and have taken my boys solo to Mexico City, PV and gone a few times with friends and have never had a problem.

Marilyn Jan 18th, 2003 07:20 PM

I've been to Mexico many times, all over the country (not just beach resorts), and I really love it. <BR><BR>But I understand the sentiment behind slamming places like Cabo. If you are interested in a spring break sort of holiday -- bar-hopping, clubbing, hooking up -- then the sleaze and crime factor becomes important. I wouldn't want to spend time in Cabo itself because it has gotten such a &quot;spring break&quot; reputation, and because the few times I passed through there for a half day, I saw nothing to change that impression. On the other hand, there are fantastic places in Baja that are NOT Cabo.

CHRIS Jan 18th, 2003 07:52 PM

Heading to Mexico for the first time next month (PDC). We are very excited. We are soooo sick of Aruba - been about 10 times....and guess what!!! We were ROBBED in ARUBA and lost money, jewelry, computer, cameras - etc. It was an inside job in our hotel and the owners or police could care less. People think Aruba is soooooo safe but it is quite the opposite. They just hush everything up better. We plan to be careful in Mexico and enjoy our first visit there. I have never met one Mexican person who was not friendly and genuine......can't say the same for some of the rude Americans I have met while traveling.

We need all the touris we can get Jan 18th, 2003 08:13 PM

The Original Message brought to you by the Cabo San Lucas Tourist Bureau.<BR>