Search

Footwear in Costa Rica?

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2009, 04:10 PM
czk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Footwear in Costa Rica?

We're going to Costa Rica next month (June 29-July 11) and I am worrying about what shoes to bring. We'll be in Arenal and Manuel Antonio and plan to trek around the volcano, do the ziplines, lay on the beach, and who knows what else. I've contemplated water resistant/waterproof shoes, trail shoes, or just bringing old gym shoes. What do you all think? What would be the best option as far as function, weight and space?
Old May 25th, 2009, 05:17 PM

You'll want something with decent tread for hiking. The trails can be wet, slippery and muddy. Most people recommend something lightweight that can be hosed down and will dry fairly quickly. Keens hiking sandals and meshy trail running shoes like the Saloman Tech Amphibians are two of the more popular recommendations here.

Your old gym shoes might work just fine, if they've got some tread. Just be aware that if you get them wet, they might stay wet for the whole time you're there...

Arenal and MA are great choices. You'll have a terrific time!
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:49 AM

I wore running shoes for the trails and Keen's for the beach. My husband has the Saloman Techs that cm mentioned, and he loves them.
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:51 AM

I wore my Keens everywhere, excpet the beach or pool - flip flops there! The keens were fine on all the hiking or trails we were on. They were good because they're closed toed and they tended to dry fast if they got wet.
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:10 AM

Keens will work fine almost everywhere. The only place I went where I could not wear them was at Tirimbina Rainforest Center. There were bullet ants on the hiking trails, so they made everyone with Keens or hiking sandals change into rubber boots.

Take flip flops for pool and you are set.
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:46 AM

Keep in mind that if you havea narrow foot, the Keens won't fit as well. It was Saloman Tech-Amphibs for me. And recently, I bought a pair of Merrell's that are very similar to the Saloman's--love them and wear them both. The Salomans are cool because you can put the heel down and use them as slip ons. I love that. Have them on right now--at school!
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:59 AM

I found that my Saloman Tech Amphibians did not have adequate support and didn't dry well. I tested them out during Hurricane Gustav aftermath while cleaning up damage and they stayed wet for days! Humidity is an issue here (in Louisiana) as it is in CR, so my Salomans stay at home while my Keens travel with me.

I have three pair of Keens and wear them most of the time, have gotten many questions and comments on them. You do need to order a 1/2 size up on them.
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:16 AM
czk
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for the replies everyone! The Salomon Tech Amphibians seem to be available on sale a bunch of places now and are more in my price range than a lot of the Keens I have seen. Plus, I think I will be more likely to use them again here at home. Getting excited!!
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:28 AM

czk, you will definitely become a mesh shoe convert! All I wear in the summer now are mesh "water shoes" that are really just mary jane style tennis shoes with mesh material. Lands End sells a bunch, I have them in a range of colors.