Footwear for Costa Rica at end of May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are SO excited to visit Costa Rica next month! We are quite adventurous and want to do a lot of activities. We have been looking at amphibious shoes (i.e. Salomon Techamphibian 2 and Merrell Maipo) that seem to be good for both hiking and water sports like kayaking and white water rafting. Since we will be going at the beginning of the rainy season, is a shoe like this a reasonable option? Are hiking boots necessary?
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 08:11 AM

I always take my Saolomon techamphibians, and they've always served me well. I even wear them on the plane to further reduce what I pack (and just pack a pair of flip flops or crocs or something). I also put in a gel insert to make them more comfortable, and it might be a good idea to bring a couple pairs of socks (some kind of quick-dry ones) so you don't get blisters...
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Totally helpful - thank you, plumboy!
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 06:28 AM

Often, your hotel (etc.) will supply you with tall(er) rubber boots for hiking where it is muddy (and/or snaky). For those who prefer more support, adding a pair of really minimal water shoes helps if you can get the added bulk into the boot. I wear the water type sandals with a bit more heel and toe protection everywhere--wet or dry. Hiking boots are good for extra ankle support if you know that you need it. Otherwise, bring what's comfortable, cool, and light.

Don't stand on an ant hill. They will quickly swarm above any shoe or boot.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kinka - good to know. Hadn't mentioned that we'll be in the Dominical area as well as up in Guanacaste for the last half of the trip. In terms of ankle suppot, I think I'll pass on the hiking boots and get the sandals with more heel and toe protection as you mentioned. Thanks again for the info - especially the ant-related tidbit!
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For a sandal with toe protection we like Keens Venice H2. Good on land and water,
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 07:50 AM

Would Keen's be sufficient for a day hike in Corcovado or should I plan or bringing some hiking boots as well? As an example Keens were sufficient for me for a 6 hour hike near Asheville, NC, is the terrain in Corcovado more challenging or will I need more coverage due to insects?
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 08:38 AM

If you are hiking in mud and where there are snakes, I higly recommend the rubber boots. There are also biting ants so I think a more covered foot is better than a sandal. Hiking in forest in sandals...I don't like.
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 12:32 PM

For a day trip, yes Keen's would be sufficient. Regardless of what you're wearing, always be conscious of when you stop to look at something or take photos, just make it a habit to always look down every few feet and at every stop. A lot of people on the Osa wear Croc's and though I swear I never would, I ended buying a pair to take down there and loved them.