Food and water in Manuel Antonio?

Old Mar 30th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Food and water in Manuel Antonio?

Leaving for CR in two weeks. Any place to buy lunch inside the park? Is there someplace to change at the beach after hiking? Can we leave stuff on the beach while we swim? Appreciate all advise.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 12:43 PM

I'm so jealous you are headed to Manuel Antonio! We were there last year and had a blast!

Inside the park there is a little food stand--I think the only food you could buy was ham and cheese sandwiches, made of wonder bread and cheap lunch meat. You could also buy pop and water, but if I remember it was fairly expensive and not necessarily cold. If you plan on hanging out at the beach all day (which is an absolutely beautiful beach) you would probably be smart to pack some snacks and drinks with you.

You can leave stuff on the beach while you swim, but you have to watch out for the monkeys! They are very curious. Don't leave a wallet or anything shiny laying around. Just cover everything up and it should be fine.

If you have any more questions, just let me know! I hope you have a great trip.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 01:12 PM

Don't know what type of hotel/lodge you are staying in but if they have a restaurant they could probably have a box lunch ready for you at breakfast time to take with you. It can be hot and humid so be sure to take more water than you think you will need.
I personally would never leave anything unattended at the beach Costa Rican or otherwise.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 06:22 AM
Iza

You should probably take lunch and water with you. Pickles Deli which is next door to Si Como No and Villas Nicholas makes decent sandwiches and rents coolers that you can take with you into the park. It is however somewhat expensive. You can also leave the park to have lunch (there are some places along the main beach in Manuel Antonio, right outside the national park) and go back in without paying another admission fee. I would not leave anything on the beach unattended, unless it is just towels or clothes. The monkeys are really very curious and will probably go through your stuff in search of food.
If I remember correctly there are no changing facilities only open air showers to rinse off the salt.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 08:24 AM

Pickles Deli is no more. Anyway, not next to Si Como No. It's an art gallery/gift shop now. Under construction last year when we were there, and open this year.

There are showers in the park. Can't recall exactly where though.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 09:10 AM
Iza

Too bad about Pickles Deli. We got sandwiches there when we visited the park in August of 2001. It was a small place on the corner right next door to the art gallery/gift shop.

If it really is gone, you should probably plan to leave the park to grab some lunch nearby. The showers, if I remember correctly, are right on the isthmus between Playa Manuel Antonio and Playa Espadilla Sur.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:31 PM

The little food stand inside the park was closed when I was there last week so don't count on it. But a woman from Oregon was nice enough to share some mangoes with us!