Food allergy awareness in Cancun, mexico

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Cancun trip coming up and one of my kids has dairy,nut and seafood allergies. Since we will eating out for the entire trip, Are there restaurant recommendation that can provide allergen free foods? Any ideas on how to communicate about the allergies and allergy cards etc., to the restaurant waiter/waitress? WE don't speak Spanish. Any insights is appreciated.
Old Dec 14th, 2014, 09:25 PM

Do you already have reservations? I have food allergies, too, and try to stay most of each trip in a place with a kitchen so I can prepare some of my own meals.

We have not stayed in Cancún so I can't help with restaurant recommendations. If you do have reservations and name the resort, it might help others recommend restaurants in that area. Good luck!
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 08:00 AM
TC

You will find everything in Cancun.....including McDonalds. There are many very good apps for an iPhone that do translations. I use "iTranslate". I suggest putting one on your phone. Do the translation in advance and save it to show to anyone as needed. You shouldn't have a big problem as these allergies aren't "hidden". It should be quite easy to avoid dairy...just as you would at home. You will find few foods using nuts. And seafood is pretty easy to spot. Lots of choices with chicken, beef, etc. No worries.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 08:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Print up cards in advance that explain the situation in Spanish.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 06:19 PM

Yes, there are lots of restaurants in Cancun but please be explicit and make sure that you are understood. There are many sauces and beverages that may carry a small residue of what your child is allergic to. I dought that restaurants will advertise allergen free foods... you will need to create your own dishes along with your waiters help !