Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Fodor's posters in Costa Rica 2006 Guidebook (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/fodor-s-posters-in-costa-rica-2006-guidebook-569011/)

tully Nov 5th, 2005 03:52 PM

Fodor's posters in Costa Rica 2006 Guidebook

hee hee, just had to post this... Just bought the new fodor's guidebook and got to the starting page section on San Jose. It has a quote from shillmac on the merits of San Jose. Too cool :) !!! Ok, now I just flipped forward to the starting page of Central Valley and there is a quote from dfarmer! Flipping thru more I see quotes from Ally, costaklaus, rbrazil and more. Fun!

faithie Nov 5th, 2005 04:01 PM

NO WAY !!!! That is TOOOO cool ! I can't wait to see it . Congrats Y'all . ( did you know ?? ) Faith .

tully Nov 5th, 2005 04:45 PM

faithie I just did a more thorough scan thru the book and there are lots more "word of mouth" boxes with quotes from greenfieldhunter, Kwoo, glover and even me! I think Donna got the most, 3 or 4. Nice to see the fodors editors using this resource for their books, even if only a little.

glover Nov 5th, 2005 04:54 PM

Wow, our 15 seconds of fame. Ha ha, husband said "so are they sending us the new guide for free, then?"

shillmac Nov 5th, 2005 04:56 PM

Hi Tully, Faithie,
Well, heck,that IS fun! The Fodor's Family makes it into print! :)

Did you check out prices on hotels/restaurants, Tully? Someone who returned recently and spoke by phone with Molly2 said that she noticed quite an increase and that it was even affecting the little sodas. Oh well--they've been such a bargain for so long--hopefully some of the familias Ticas will realize a little more dinero from their businesses!

I hope you guys are well--I miss talking with you. f bgds

Okay--that last little bit was from Isabelle--she way saying hello!

faithie Nov 5th, 2005 05:36 PM

I looked on the Costa Verde website and there will be increases . We paid $60.00 for the efficiency last November('04) . It's $65.00 now(since last Jan.05) , and goes up to $79.00(Jan.06) next year !! So $19.00 more in a little over a year .... Yikes !! Aside from that , I can't wait to get the book , that's cool ! Faith

shillmac Nov 5th, 2005 07:44 PM

Are you cold on PEI, Faithie? We have had the most gorgeous weather all week--70's. Percy says it's pretty chilly in Canada these days--Alberta, I think he told me once.

tully Nov 5th, 2005 07:59 PM

shillmac I will drop you a line sooner (and hopefully not later!) It's hard to tell on prices in the guidebook as fodoor's does the $$-$$$ rating. But I have noticed some hotels prices gooing up just from looking around. I know the Peace Lodge takes a huge rate increase in 2006 and I was kind of stunned by the rates for the new hotel in Arenal, Kioro I think it's called. As long as the money stays in CR owned places and isn't too unreasonable I don't mind! I am a little bummed the quote they used of mine wasn't even about one of the places I've been to, it was about me making a snide remark about the Four Seasons, hee. Oh well!

shillmac Nov 5th, 2005 09:00 PM

Seriously Tully? They quoted a snide remark you made? Wonder why they chose that in particular? Maybe they didn't see it as snide. Any of us could have made that Four Seasons remark. . . Well, several of us. . . . :)

I can't wait to read it!

And do write when you get time--always nice to hear from you. How's your planning coming along? Still looking at May?

I can't imagine Peace Lodge is taking a big price increase. They are already out of my league except for some sort of big splurge (like a 50th anniversary 20 years from now) ;)

So many places I still want to visit in CR. . . .

faithie Nov 6th, 2005 02:46 AM

I actually live in Montreal now , but a big chunk of my heart and my big family are all still on PEI .(6 other siblings , neices , nephews ...) !! It has not been too bad in either place weather wise . Actuallly a piece of my heart arrives early tomorrow morning ... my mom for a 2 week visit ! Yeah !

faithie Nov 6th, 2005 02:48 AM

And Tully , that's funny !! Good thing they did not catch me at my least gracious with RBCal !!!

shillmac Nov 6th, 2005 06:04 AM

Yes, you accused him of trolling--most people agreed with you! :)

dfarmer Nov 6th, 2005 08:26 AM

Hello everyone - signed on this morning and found this topic - certainly a surprise - this is too cool. Guess I have to get to Memphis to get the new book and see what we all said!!!

Maybe they could give us all free airfare! Or better yet, bring us all together (in CR of course!) for a consultation!! Oh well - but it sure would be fun.

As for the price increases - sure glad we got to Peace Lodge before the big increase. It was our splurge as it was. Tully, I was stunned at the prices on that new Kioro also, maybe it looks different once you get there, but the website looks pretty normal, not anything really out of this world. I guess there are people though that will pay the price. Sure hope all the rest of the lodges don't follow suit.

And yes as I recall the FS topic got pretty heated!!! I always hold my breath when the FS comes up!!

greenfieldhunter Nov 7th, 2005 06:16 AM

All right.

I will admit to being slighty curious about being quoted in a Fodors guide- was I being ughh...helpful or...?

If the editors found snide quotes from posters like Tully (snide would not be a word to describe Tully or most of this bunch) I shudder to think what they found on me

I guess I also have to admit to being slighty cheap- and therefore might never see my prose in print.

I await my royalty check

lvk Nov 7th, 2005 12:08 PM

How fun! (I was excited when some of my comments ended up in print in the Zagat's L.A. guide.) I'll have to check out the new copy of Fodor's. Thanks for posting Tully.

Hello to Shillmac -- I love Isabelle's typing skills. :)

tully Nov 7th, 2005 03:40 PM

greenfield maybe I wasn't being snide, maybe ...mmm..dismissive? I don't know. The quote they used from me was put beside the FS review and said "To me, going to the FS kind of cancels out the whole point of going to CR in the first place. You might as well be anywhere". It was paired with a rave review from another poster, so maybe they're just trying to show the full spectrum.

Flipping thru, yours was a great quote! "Save the Osa for last, unless you like eating your dessert first".

Donna I agree, the least we should get is a airfare to meet up in our fave place so we can come up with more quotables! :)

dfarmer Nov 7th, 2005 04:34 PM

I will keep my fingers crossed!!! HA!

Greenfield - I loved your quote, when I read it I thought "perfect" exactly the way I feel about my experience in the Osa.

And Yes - I BOUGHT the book! Laughing at myself! But had to be in Memphis yesterday anyway and someone else has my 2005 CR guidebook, so what the heck. My son was standing in line at Starbucks in B&N, when I showed him a quote from me - He was like "NO WAY!" it was quite funny to see his reaction - they (my family) all think (probably know) that I am obsessed with Costa Rica.

Have a great night all!

CaliNurse Nov 7th, 2005 08:20 PM

"I shudder to think what they found on me."
So it was a nice--not naughty--quote after all, greenfieldhunter? I'd hoped it would be an interesting poitical comment!
Congratulations to you Famous Fodorites! I'm going to the local B&N tomorrow to see your words, up close and personal.

Keith Nov 8th, 2005 07:13 AM

So how much did they pay for your quotes?

Keith

tully Nov 8th, 2005 10:09 AM

Nada! Pero esta bien :)

Seriously, it is fine with me, a thrill just to see myself & friends in print, albeit under internet nicknames!