Flying to Iguazu Falls

Oct 5th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Flying to Iguazu Falls

I will be in Buenos Aires in Jan and want to go to Iguazu Falls for just one night. I am getting very high plane fare quotes. Would I be better to book the air once I get to BA and have the hotel concierge do it for me? I plan to stay at the Sheraton overlooking the falls and don't want this side trip to cost a fortune.
Oct 5th, 2004, 11:07 AM

Lolo,
we went to Iguazu recently and the cheapest flights were on Southern Wind.
It was easy to book over the internet and they have a US office in Miami.

The website is
http://www.sw.com.ar/
Oct 5th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

I already check them out and the fare came in at over $500 per person. there's gotta be a cheaper way!
Oct 5th, 2004, 11:56 AM

Maybe it is just an expensive date?? You might try Cinta at [email protected] She arranged everything for us and we are paying less than half of that right around Christmas. She is always recommended and rightfully so.
Oct 5th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

I have seen her name on Fodor's before so I e-mailed her last night. I hope she can help. Thanks for your recommemdations.
Oct 6th, 2004, 01:19 AM

A couple of points:

1.Argentina based travel agents can almost always save you money. Cintia is great. If she can help you, you will be in good hands. If not, another trustworthy agent is Mike at www.argentinago.com

2. I checked the Southern Winds website for an overnight trip, mid-week in January. The price was $475, but in Pesos Argentinos not dollars. Divide by 3 for an approximate dollar value. There is a small box at the top of the screen that gives you a price quote that will tell you the currency.

3. January is summer vacation time in Argentina, so it may well be that fares will be higher than at other times of the year.

good luck
Oct 7th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Connette - thanks for the recommendation of Cintia at wowargentina. She is in the process of putting together the arrangements and the price is very reasonable. I just hope it all works out ok when it comes to actually getting the seats on the flights we want.
Drdawggy - I contacted Mike at argentinago. He was supposed to have someone get back to me - they never did.
Will keep you all posted. Thanks for everyone's help.
Oct 11th, 2004, 03:00 AM

lolo

As I said in my earlier post, if Cintina can help you....you are in good hands.

Sorry about argentinago. My experiences with this agency have been excellent (there is an entire thread of testimonials on Frommers.com message board about their going above and beyond what is required to deliver quality services). If you have time try emailing Mike [email protected] and tell him that you never heard from anyone. Feedback such as this will enable him to find out where they are falling short of the standard they have set......

In any case, enjoy Iguazu!
Oct 11th, 2004, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Luciano, not Mike finally got back to me late on Friday with the same info and prices as did Cintia. We already told her to go ahead and make the reservation. If she has a problem, I will get back in touch with Luciano.
Oct 12th, 2004, 02:44 PM

November prices with local fares and sheraton hotel overlooking jungle for l night with transfer in and out. 910 $ Arg. divide this into 3 to get the quantity of dollars.
good luck
milla
Oct 15th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Cintia from wowargentina.com finally completed my excursion from Buenos Aires to Iguazu and back. Thanks to all who recommended her on this sight. She was truly informative, honest, helpful and cooperative. I would definitely use her again.
Oct 18th, 2004, 02:08 PM

Lolo
Did you check the weather in Iguazu for January?
I went to Iguazu last year in October (still spring) and swore never to return..felt I was slowly melting in the scorching heat!! Impossible to walk around comfortably. January is the middle of summer. Buenos Aires is disgustingly hot and Iguazu should be even hotter.
Anyway, if you are daring enough to go at that time of year, don't leave without visiting the brasilian side of the falls..way more spectacular views form this side and quite worth the visit.
Paulie
Oct 19th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip on the weather. I fully expect the heat in January. However, we are combining this with a trip to Antarctica and Patagonia so we will have to take the hot and the cold!!
Did you have to get a visa to visit the Brazilian side?
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:21 AM

I hear what you say about the difference in temp between BA and the Falls...we will be there mid- Nov...what temp should we expect at the Falls...is there a big dip in temps at night...are there any bitting bugs at the Falls or in BA for that matter?

Can't wait
Oct 19th, 2004, 02:40 PM

Lolo, we also worked with Cintia @ WOWArgentina to make our trip arrangements to Argentina last June. We visited Iguasu falls, Calafate and Bariloche and her advice was extremely useful. My husband and I had never experienced such a personalized high quality service until we found her company. We've been recommending her to our friends and they have all been very pleased. At first I had some concerns about working with an overseas travel agent so I asked her if she had any references and she immediately sent me a long list of previous clients. I contacted more than 10 people and they all spoke so highly of WOWArgentina that I knew I was in good hands. We enjoyed our trip so much that we plan to go back to Argentina next year and visit Salta and Jujiuy.
Oct 20th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Well, everything is all set for my excursion to Iguazu in Jan. Cintia at wowargentina came through splendidly. We will begin our trip in Buenos Aires, fly to Iguazu, then back to BA and then fly to Ushuaia where we will board the Nordnorge for a trip to Antarctica and then to Cape Horn, Punta Arenas and then up thru the Chilean fjords ending in Santiago. Can't wait to go!!!
Oct 22nd, 2004, 11:03 AM

I didn't need a visa to go to the Brazilian side, but I would suggest you contact your travel agent or find the website for the brazilian consulate in your country to check if you might need it.
Don't let that stop you anyway..you'll thank me later.

As I said, we went there in October and just couldn't stand the horrible heat (and I'm used to it.. I live in a tropical country). November should be even worse! Make sure you wear a bathing suit so you can take your clothes off if it gets really hot. I don't remember being bothered by any bugs...they must have all died from heat exhaustion!!
Paulie