Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Fly to Cozumel, stay in Playa del Carmen? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/fly-to-cozumel-stay-in-playa-del-carmen-429725/)

RD10 May 9th, 2004 05:24 AM

Fly to Cozumel, stay in Playa del Carmen?

I am planning a trip and can get the flights to Cozumel, but not to Cancun. Does it make sense to fly into Cozumel and then ferry over to Playa del Carmen? What are the nicest hotels in Playa del Carmen? Looking for really nice beach and pool, luxurious accomodations, more adult than family. Thanks!

SusanInToronto May 9th, 2004 09:39 AM

We've flown into Cozumel and then taken the ferry to Playa del Carmen. Usually we've tried to split our time between the 2 areas, but the ferry runs frequently and it's an easy trip. I would have no qualms about it.

Can't give you any advice on luxurious hotels - that's not really my style, but I'm sure someone else can advise you on that.

RD10 May 9th, 2004 12:31 PM

Thanks so much for your response. Once we get off the ferry at Playa Del Carmen, will we easily be able to get a taxi to our hotel (once we figure out where to stay)?

lomayalo May 9th, 2004 02:31 PM

Taking the ferry from Coz to Playa is easy. Taxi drivers are always waiting at the end of the pier in Playa looking for fares. Luxury/adult in Playa would be the Royal Hideaway. It's a bit pricey, but it is worth every penny. It's the only AI hotel I would ever recommend. It's great. Or, if you want to stay in Cozumel, try the Presidente Intercontinental. It's not AI and not all adult, but it is a truly wonderful place. Have a great vacation!

Airlawgirl May 9th, 2004 05:24 PM

How anyone could mention Playa and not mention the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal is beyond me. It's truly an extraordinary resort-it has everything you want-and so much more-there is a tropical jungle on the stone path leading to the pool and the ocean-you can see a family of monkeys, small tapirs scampering about, flamingo ponds next to some of the room units, and different flora and fauna about-marked with signs so you'll know what you're seeing-staff is great-I could barely rouse myself to go see Playa the town-and when I did- I hurred back to the Tucan-check out tripadvisor.com- it may be the only hotel in the world with an almost 100 percent satisfaction rating.

RobertSDF May 10th, 2004 05:27 AM

I cannot recommend any luxury resorts (or all inclusive resorts) in the Playa area since I use neither. I would highly recommend you find something close to Playa so that you can enjoy the varied restaurants and night life available in the area.

RD10 May 10th, 2004 09:30 AM

Okay, so how about a nice hotel in the Playa area with a pretty pool, and easy access to the beach? It doesn't need to big a huge resort; in fact, we'd prefer a non-AI, as we love to try different restaurants. Thanks.

JeanH May 10th, 2004 09:59 AM

We stayed at Hotel La Tortuga in March. About two blocks from the beach. Pretty pool area, not very large, but relaxing. Good breakfast. Not a luxury property, but was only about $85.00 a night in high season. We'd definitely go back.

On the beach, Playa Maya gets good reviews, friends of ours stayed there and enjoyed it. A few minutes north of town is Shangri La Caribe, which gets good reviews. It's rooms come with breakfast and dinner, but people seem to feel that the price is reasonable enough to 'skip' their dinner if you want to eat in town.

Jean

Rover May 10th, 2004 11:17 AM

Flying into COZ is an excellent idea. I don't think the fares would be much different and the immigration/customs in a breeze in COZ compared to CUN. You are likely to be the only plane on the ramp at COZ. As soon as you get through immigration, you go to the transportation window and prepay for your taxi/shuttle to the pier, then you just show the voucher to the driver. They wait until they fill the van, but it won't take long. (At least this is the process I went through 3 years ago. The ferries run about every hour and cost about ten bucks, I think. You can be In PDC well before you would even clear immigration in CUN.
If you'd like to try some luxury with a real twist, consider spending a few days at Azulik, on the beach at Tulum.
It looks very special and is new this year. Their web site is Azulik.com
I'll be staying a week there, myself, at the end of this month. I've also spent a week during the past three summers at Azulik's neighbor, Cabanas Copal-another great place.
CabanasCopal.com

RobertSDF May 10th, 2004 01:20 PM

Check the website for Treetops Hotel (www.treetopshotel.com). Its a secluded setting yet only 1/2 block from both the beach and Playas main street. Operated by the friendly, helpful owners with very reasonable rates and spotless, excellent facilities.

TC May 11th, 2004 07:02 AM

Why Playa? Why not stay on Cozumel? The problem isn't whether you can get to Playa from Cozumel airport, the potential problem comes when you want to fly home. How early do you need to leave Playa on the ferry to make the flight out of CZM? What if weather prevents you from making the ferry crossing and you miss your plane? There are many wonderful places to stay on Cozumel. Have you been there before?

RD10 May 11th, 2004 04:55 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions -- I will check them all out.

TC, I have only been to Cozumel on a cruise before. I have been hearing so many wonderful things about PDC, but not too much about Cozumel. It is my general impression that PDC is nicer than Cozumel. Not true? Is there someplace specific that you would recommend we stay in Cozumel? You make a good point about our return trip, though our flight doesn't leave until 2 pm. But if we stay in PDC, perhaps I will consider staying the last night on Cozumel.

TC May 12th, 2004 04:56 AM

RD10; It depends on what you want from your holiday. I think Coz is wonderful - and have posted that opinion here many times. During what time period is your trip? What are you looking for in your vacation? Your initial post sounds like a fit with the Occidental Grand resort on Cozumel. Tell me a bit more about your reason for picking Playa and I can tell you if Cozumel will fill the bill as well. I will be happy to send you my things to see and do in Cozumel if you contact me via email at [email protected] That might help you with the decision.

If you decide to stay the last night in Cozumel, take a look at Hacienda San Miguel. Its very near the ferry pier and airport. No pool, but a beautiful private home-like setting - perfect for one night. http://www.haciendasanmiguel.com/