Fly or drive from San Jose to Arenal?

Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Fly or drive from San Jose to Arenal?

We are trying to decide whether to make the drive from San Jose to Arenal, or to fly. Obviously flying would be easier and quicker. But would we be missing out by not driving? Is the route scenic? How difficult to drive? Are there any cool places to check out along the way? I'm a little worried driving will prove to be too much time in the car, since we will be in the car quite a bit when we travel from Arenal to Montezuma. Anyone know if this route is scenic? Thank you!
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:16 AM

It's only a 3 hr drive and scenery is very nice.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:30 AM

I would drive. Not much quicker actually when you take into account taxiing to the airport, arriving early to check luggage, taxiing to your hotel, etc. As SiteC_R said it's only a 3 hr drive.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:54 AM

Most people drive rather than fly. Parts of it are very pretty. Road are in pretty good shape. If you want to, you could hire a private driver or take Interbus.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 08:48 PM

take a gps and drive. but figure out what you'll do with the rental when you leave. will you go back to sj?
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

I was thinking to leave the rental in La Fortuna. I've read some rental companies allow you to pick up in San Jose and drop off elsewhere. Then we will shuttle to the ferry which will end us up in Montezuma. I understand the ferry can transport your rental car, but from what I've read about Montezuma, it seems you don't really need one?
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Yin

Montezuma it's quite small, but in Costa Rica public transportation is not that good, so it's pretty much easier to drive everywhere. I can said, I've used the bus so few times and always before I got my driver's liscense!!
However, I assume you must go back to the international airport and we just have 2 of them, and none close to Montezuma. So how are you planning to get back to it? If you must come back to SJO, then I strongly recommend to keep the car...
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 12:17 PM

If anyone has the information on the Car Ferry from La Fortuna to Monteverde I would love to hear from you. I have not been able to establish this part of my trip and would love to be able to book in advance.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 12:29 PM

For Arenal to Monteverde there are a few companies that offer ground and water transport. Here is one of them:

http://www.arenal.net/tour/monteverde-boat-taxi.htm

As far as Montezuma goes you don't need a car for Montezuma itself, however if you want to do exploring, hiking, tours anywhere outside of Montezuma having a car would be useful.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

I am planning to fly from Tambor back to San Jose.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Yin

And how are you planning to go from Montezuma to Tambor? My point is if you are planning to depend on public transportation, in Costa Rica it's a nightmare. We have to drive everywhere, if you plan to use a hotel or tour transportation it should be just fine
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 08:40 PM

You can easily drive from La Fortuna to Monteverde. They are mountain roads and partially gravel.

I've written about this drive here on teh site before, so you can find them by some searches.

Driving from San Jose to Arenal is a very nice and quite scenic drive. Watch for parrots and toucans. Well, not if you're driving.