Search

Flilght time from SFO-BAs?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2009, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flilght time from SFO-BAs?

Assuming we can get a direct flight, what is flight time from SFO to BAs?
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 09:39 AM

I don't think there are direct flights, I think you have to go through Houston.

It is about 11 hours from Houston to BA.

It was 15-17 hours for us .. total.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 11:15 AM

For LAN, you would fly through LAX, and possibly Lima,depending on the plane.

For AA, you could fly through ORD, MIA, JFK or DFW. Because I'm on AA FF miles. Biz class in March, it's SFO-JFK-EZE.

Try looking at a site like www.sidestep.com or www.kayak.com for various options.

It also depends on the time of year your'e going.

Expect 16-20+ hours for total trip time, including layovers.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 11:17 AM

I don't think there are any direct flights from California. I just got back on dec 28th and I live in L.A. County and flew out of LAX. I went, on expedia, three weeks before I needed to depart, and was on there for days looking for flights and non of them were direct.

One morning, around 2:45AM, a flight, on American Airlines popped up for $557. rd.trip (total $857.20), from L.A.-N.Y.-Buenos Aires. I jumped on it. I always look for flights after midnight as many discounted flights are loaded into the system them. So, I jump on them while everyone else is sleeping. All of the other airlines had airfares of $1500-$2100 for the period of Dec 18-28th.

My flight was to leave L.A., at 9:30AM to N.Y., but due to a snow storm, in N.Y., left around 1:15PM. I was chatting with the American Airline flight attendant, in the airport, and he went to check to see if I'd make my connecting flight in N.Y. He said that he was almost sure that the flight on to Buenos Aires, from N.Y., had originated in San Francisco. He went over to the computer to check and he was right. S.F.-N.Y.-Buenos Aires. Other airlines either connected through Houston, D.C., Miami, and a few other places.

I have a ticket back to Buenos Aires, for summer, but on United out of LAX and it connects in D.C.

As for the travel time, it took me 5 hours+plus to N.Y. and then 12 hours from N.Y. to Buenos Aires. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 11:25 AM

Speaking of LAN, I saw the flights on LAN and they went through Lima and arrived very late at night and then the flight on to Buenos Aires didn't leave until the next morning. So, I didn't want to fly into Lima and end up sleeping in the airport, for many hours, waiting for the flight on to Buenos Aires. Plus, doesn't Peru require visas? If so, I didn't have time to apply for one and wouldn't want to go through getting one just so that I could possibly overnight in a hotel in the city. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 02:26 PM

The 'rule' if there is officically one, is that you don't pay for a visa if you don't leave the international transiting area.

Once you cross passport control is when the visa fee is applied.

Also, please note for all of us who complain about the visa fee, that fee is usually a country's reciprocity fee. That means they charge you to enter their country the same rate as the US charges their citizens to visit the US.

Old Jan 31st, 2009, 04:50 PM

The ORD-EZE flights on AA are no more. You'd have to connect through DFW, MIA or JFK.

You get a better sense of this if you look at a globe rather than a flat map, but it's not so outrageous to fly via the east coast. Buenos Aires is about directly south of Bermuda.

Whether in transit or visiting, U.S. citizens don't need a visa for Peru.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 07:47 PM

Thanks Rasataguytoday...that's good to know. about Peru. I know some countries won't even allow a passenger to transit through their country unless there's a visa in order. I've read about such cases. I don't remember, off the top of my head, which countries they were.

I also remember when flying from Ghana to Frankfurt on my way home to L.A., that passenger documents were checked before one was even allowed to exit the plane into Frankfurt. I'm American, with an American passport, so I was waved through, but I really felt for the Ghanaians who were going through an ordeal.

As for the visa fee, I wasn't complaining about it and understand how it works, I was just stating that I would not want to pay a visa fee to just be able to leave the airport, for some hours, to go into the city to find a hotel to sleep at versus sleeping in the airport until the plane flew on to Buenos Aires the next day.

Before I went to Brazil, a few summers ago, I got a visa. I think it was over a hundred dollars, but I was in Brazil for two weeks, not overnight. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 07:51 PM

Jeff Costa Rica- Thanks for the info. I just read your response. Happy Travels!