Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page > Flight cancellations between Belize and Flores, Guatemala

Flight cancellations between Belize and Flores, Guatemala

Jun 9th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

Flight cancellations between Belize and Flores, Guatemala

Greetings!

I've read that all flights have been cancelled between Flores, Guatemala, and points in Belize. Does anyone know why this is and when flights will resume?

We're thinking about a trip to Belize in Jan/Feb and were thinking that it would be great to stay in the Cayo for several days, then travel to Tikal for an overnight before heading to the coast for another few days. It seems as though a short flight from Flores to somewhere close to the coast/cayes might make sense (given that I have a child who's prone to carsickness)...but the flight obviously doesn't make sense if there is no flight to be had.

Any information would be most enlightening! Thanks!
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:33 AM

True. Belize did not comply with paperwork GUATE required, but is now working on resolving the issue, but don't have any idea when this will be resolved, should have been months ago.
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:29 AM

The two countries have always had questionable relations, what with Guatemala for years claiming Belize as its own territory, and claiming the same of the former British Honduras when Belize was a British colony. Guatemala did give up that claim in the '90s, but people there tell me it's the new president, who took office last year, doing some posturing and trying to look tough that caused Guatemala to cancel the flights.

The overland trip is not bad. Only you can judge how carsick your child gets, but it's pretty flat and pretty straight. (How would your child handle a flight in a small plane, especially if it's choppy? Those are the planes that flew the route, and will fly it again once the flights are reinstated.) For the present, I don't think it would be worth it for just an overnight, though. That would be a lot of time on the road in two days.

Search this Thread