Flamingo Hotel vs. Tucancun Hotel in Cancun

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I?ve been looking on funjet.com for prices for cancun hotels and I?m debating between the Flamingo Resort and Tucancun Resort. The Tucan is about $1000 AI for 7nts and the Flamingo is about the same. Can anyone give me their advice from personal experience or others? experience which they would go with and why. Do these resorts have palapas on the beach? Nice pools? As long as the food is okay that?s fine. We?ll probably just eat breakfast & lunch there and maybe 1 or 2 dinners. Also we are two females in our 30?s.

I also thought about doing EP & buying Brant?s discount card for meals. What do you think? We?re not big drinkers but like maybe 1 drink a day.

Also, has anyone had any experience with renting a condo for the week? Then we could just eat snacks in our condo & use Brant?s card. I know this is a lot of questions, but I really want this vacation to be wonderful. Thanks in advance for all you help!!

Gwyn in Vegas

P.S. And if anyone ever needs Vegas advice just ask. I?m full of it.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 10:48 AM

Have friends who just returned from a 5 night stay at Tucancun about 3 weeks ago. I didn't know anything about this hotel so was interested in their experience because you can get some really good deals on it. She said the property itself was nice but the food sucked (her description). They ended up eating all their meals out because the food was so bad. She's not known for being picky about food, so I'm taking it that the food was really pretty bad. Maybe that's why you can get such good deals for Tucancun! It's always been my experience that AI hotels who are not very expensive are generally decent properties (rooms, pool area, lobby, etc.) but it shows in the food. Not necessarily bad food, but not much variety, mostly all buffets, kind of bland, etc.

Brant's card is a good deal and even though there are plenty of pricey restaurants in Cancun, there are others who are not so pricey and with the card you should be able to swing it even on a strict budget. That would be my advice.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 01:02 PM

Good advice from Mandy. Neither of these resorts is top of the line--and as Mandy says, food at this type of AI is usually bad. (I am not an AI fan, in any case) I think you would be better served to not go the AI route. Cancun has much to offer in the way of all price ranges in food--especially when you get out of the hotel zone and explore a little in the center.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 07:05 PM

I'd re-think your vacation.
Cancun is very touristy. Over priced
and just plain yucky once you leave your hotel.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 09:07 AM

Opinions of Cancun are subjective - and what is "yucky" and touristy to some, is not to others. Personally, I prefer Cancun to PDC or Cozumel, but I recognize that others do not. The facts are that Cancun has some gorgeous beaches, great hotels and offers a wide variety of night life, shopping and other excursions. If you're into that, you won't be disappointed with Cancun.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 05:18 AM

Agree with Mandys point. While I no longer prefer Cancun, many really like it. Its just all a matter of personal tastes!