Flamingo Beach Resort: AI or not

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2011, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're a family of 6 (2 adults, 17, 14 & two 22 yr olds) staying at Flamingo Beach Resort & I can't decide if we should do the AI. Will be staying 5 nights & plan to just hang out at the hotel. I know there are a lot of restaurants nearby but I don't know their pricing, we're not looking to spend a fortune. Are there any good sodas or pizza places in that area? My 14 yr olds smoothie habit could definitely break the bank so I know I would be saving $$ on her with the AI but I'm not sure about the rest of us. Would appreciate feedback...thanks
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 11:18 AM

I'll wait for shillmac to chime in and don't want to speak for her but I think I recall her mentioning a couple times to pass on the AI.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

I thought I remembered her saying that too but since I'm traveling with kids & not looking for anything fancy I thought I'd put it out there.

If it were just my husband & me, I'd definitely skip the AI.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 03:50 PM

I would listen to what Shillmac has to say also, but I think I will agree with her to skip the AI, unless you aren't planning to leave the resort.

In nearby Brasilito and Potrero there are really good places to eat, however if you don't rent a car or plan on using the public transportation then you wouldn't be able to go there.

I can't say anything about the restaurants in Playa de Flamingo because I didn't eat in any of them.
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 03:24 AM

For sure I'd skip the AI UNLESS you won't have a car. There are so many excellent restaurants all around, and not expensive. Marie's across the street is awesome, great food for kids, but you might get tired of the same place so much.

We also enjoy lunch by the pool at Flamingo. . .good clubs sandwiches, etc. But I remember last year waiting over an hour for it to arrive!

Would be happy to send you a list of nearby restaurants. I'm not saying their food is bad, just typical AI food and not the same quality as you might find at an AI such as the one at Playa Conchal.

When will you be there? We are going also!
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 03:25 AM

Should mention we opt for the plan that includes breakfast at FBR.
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Shillmac! We will have a car so I would love to hear your restaurant suggestions. We're on the breakfast plan & I'm looking forward to some gallo pinto already!

We will be there 5/25-30...and you?
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 09:00 AM

July, 3rd week. Darned!

Okay:

Potrero, one of our all time favorite places--wonderful bakery, a little pricey, but good breakfasts, lunches, pizza, etc. El Castillo. Also, Marco Polo for pizza and spaghetti.

Flamingo--we love Marie's (and Marie, , and tried Mar y Sol for the first time last year. It was fabulous. French restaurant up on the hill. I remember that they served fabulous chocolate sundaes to our granddaughters and they thought they had died and gone to heaven. It will be more expensive, but good for a special night.

Brasilito--The Happy Snapper, Outback Jack's (Hotel Brasilito)
and Camaron Dorado (great on the beach dining--nice for sunset time!) Several areas around Hotel Brasilito you will see small sodas for comida tipica. All good.

Playa Hermosa. . .if you want to be brave and drive through the country from Potrero to Hermosa (about 40 minutes), Ginger is outstanding. Bocas bar (or tapas as they say in Puerto Rico!).

Wish we could meet up! Have a great time. So Americanized, but we sure do love Playa Flamingo!
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

This is great, thanks so much!!

I always seem to miss the people I'd like to meet up with
We'll probably run into each other sooner or later.

I agree, Playa Flamingo & Grande are my 2 favorites...so far anyway. lol
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 08:17 PM

I can give wonderful 'yeses' to Camaron Dorado and El Castillo. We also loved Marco Polo in Potrero, and they have live music sometimes. I made DH dance with me when they sang Eric Clapton's "You Look Wonderful Tonight."

We are going back to Costa Rica just to eat at Ginger's, because I will never doubt Shillmac.
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 09:11 PM

LOL cgenster, believe me I am quite doubt-worthy!

I agree, petite43, we'll probably meet up one of these days!

BTW, there is a new shopping area with 2 floors built right up against Marie's. There is a restaurant on the 2nd floor, but we've not eaten there. Also on the second floor is Petit Paris. Try to schedule in advance (or as soon as you arrive) an appt with Caroline for a massage. She is awesome.
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

I will add it to my list...thanks!