Fishing near Placencia or Hopkins Beach

Old Nov 5th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fishing near Placencia or Hopkins Beach

Does anyone have information on fishing anywhere around Placencia, Hopkins Beach or Dangriga? We will be there in late January of 2011 and we will have a rental car to get around. Fly fishing wouldn't be our first choice.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 05:59 AM

Fly fishing is mainly only a choice in Belize if you take all your own equipment anyway (which is what my husband does). You'll probably get more information, whether you're planning to hire a guide or just figure it out on your own, on the Belize Forum (search 1st, then ask) since lots of locals and expats post there. www.belizeforum.com

My photos and lodging/activity recommendations are below if you're interested - happy trails!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks hopefulist. I think I will look into the cost of a travel rod for my boyfriend. It would make a good Christmas gift if I could find a reasonable price.

Your photos are fantastic!

Is the parking lot at the zoo safe enough to park a rental car with luggage? Some places seem to have someone trustworthy keeping an eye on cars while others don't.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 01:51 PM

Professional guides have rods, both spin, trolling and fly. What do you want to go for? Fishing is very good inside, on or outside the reef. The zoo parking lot is safe. You can fish on your own anywhere as well.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Trolling for anything good-sized that puts up a fight would be great. We had fun catching mahi mahi and tuna on our Costa Rica trips. Our resort cooked some of the mahi mahi for us so that really added to the fun. Not sure if Roberts Grove or Hamanasi would be up for that or if it would be a catch and release only experience. What area would be best for finding a guide?
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 05:59 AM

Hi Linda, This is Joans husband, I can tell you that the blue water fishing experiences you had in CR will not be duplicated as easily or inexpensively in BZ. CR has access to deep blue in a matter of minutes and in BZ you will need to travel a bit to get outside for blue water. Not sure of your budget or whether it just doesnt matter. A lot of folks choke pretty quickly on the idea of spending a grand plus for a days fishing on a cruiser rigged for outside fishing. My recommendation for a good fight would be find a local guide with light tackle provided for snook, or tarpon inside . C&R is practiced widely and with these species there is not much question about the R portion of that formula. If you want to eat your catch I recommend you have your guide take you for some handlining (I found this works better than any rig I had!) to a local bommie patch (coral head) and use some cut bait for some red snapper and reef masters.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Hello Joan's husband! $1000 would be a bit much unless we could share the boat. I bet fresh Red Snapper would be tasty and me catching anything with a hand line would probably be pretty funny. Thanks so much for the information.