Notices

Fishing at Bosque del cabo

Jan 28th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Fishing at Bosque del cabo

Hi- This has been a great site to find out things about the lodge. I've learned more from this site than any literature we have purchased about CR.
We didn't want to go fishing out on a boat, so Leonardo told us we could fish from the shore, but they do not rent poles. We are flying carry on, so bringing some is not an option. Leonardo told us about "hand line fishing" that all the locals use. After some research, I actually found "hand line fishing equipment" on ebay that just consists of a plastic spool, line, and sinker for 7 bucks! Is it all long haul down to the beach? We were thinking of bringing a bucket(we hope to get lucky) to bring back anything we catch. We just don't want to load ourselves down to much. We heard they will cook up fish that you catch-so it sounded like a fun challenge. Any advise?
Jan 28th, 2007, 10:07 AM

Oh dear, good news and bad news.

That hand line fishing sounds interesting. I have seen the ticos do it but never tried it myself.

Okay, bad news first. It is a long walk down to the Gulfo Dulce where I assume you will be fishing. Plan about 1-1 1/2 hr. Great trail to see things on but it can get a little tricky in spots. It can also be pretty hot. That wasn't so bad was it?

Good news, they will pack a picnic lunch for you if you don't want to worry about getting back for lunch and they will also pick you up by car and bring you and your pescados del dia back to the lodge. They do cook the fish for you. Do have at least one day pack with you when you go down to Bosque. It will help on a trip like yours. We end up lending ours out frequently to guests that don't think to bring one. You could even think about packing some of those little hand wipe packets to wash the fishy smell off your hands.

These boards are great because you get first hand info that can clue you in on the little things the web sites don't tell you about.
Jan 28th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Suzie- the wipes are a good idea. We have small kids so I'm used to packing them and will bring some along. This could all be wishful thinking that we will actually catch something more than weeds........ Leonardo said arrangements could be made for himself or the cook to go with us. (Probably to make sure we don't cast ourselves into the ocean).
We got those eagle creek bags-I think you suggested-with the zip off day packs. Looking forward to using them.
The pick-up sounds like a good option. We will probably need a big truck to bring us and all the fish we catch back! LOL

Search this Thread