Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   FIRST VISIT TO CANCUN - HELP (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/first-visit-to-cancun-help-70065/)

Leta Apr 27th, 2000 10:56 AM

FIRST VISIT TO CANCUN - HELP

PLEASE can someone tell me the difference between these 3 hotels: Fiesta Americana Cancun, Condesa Cancun and Coral Beach Cancun. I'm really confused about which one I want. I want the nicest one right on the beach, so which do I pick. If you have another suggestion, I'm still open. The price is not an issue as this is for a very special occasion and I want the best. Thank you very much.

d motl Apr 28th, 2000 06:06 PM

not famiiliar with any but would recommend a hotel that faces the bay <BR>towards Isla Mujeres. The Carribean side has the fancy hotels but the water is often to rough for swimming

heidi schoonard Apr 30th, 2000 08:58 PM

We absolutely loved Cancun. Much more than Hawaii! We stayed at the Sheraton and had a wonderful time. Would definetly stay there again over other resorts visited.

Sue C Apr 30th, 2000 11:42 PM

Hello Leta, here is the break down. Personally I stay at the Cancun have done so 6 times. The Coral Beach is the crown jewel of Canncun, it is a total suite hotel the most expensive, and I mean expensive one of the three. It is HUGE, and it's on the top of the seven.The Cancun is the older more personable of the 3, it is only 5 stories high and when you order room service it gets to you hot...smile. The rooms have been recently renovated, I was just down in November. They have run of the house, Junior and Master suites that's where we stayed our last 2 trips down. The Cancun is in walking distance of Plaza Caracole. And on the bay side..nice calm bayside..smile. The Condessa is on the Ocean side, also HUGE I think it's one of the covention hotels. It's way down the other side of the island coming from the airport, next to the Oasis. But location shouldn't be part of your deciding which to stay at, because the bus system is excellent. They run 24 hours 7 days a week and very frequenty. To top it off they are all beautiful properties,I wouldn'hesitate to stay in any one of them because of the quality service you get. But I prefer small and personable, they remember us when we return each trip. If you have any questions feel free to email me.

Leta May 1st, 2000 06:41 AM

Thanks for the replies. If anyone has any more information, would appreciate it. Which has the most lavish pool area and beach?

Sandee May 4th, 2000 02:18 PM

Hi. <BR> <BR>I've stayed at the Cancun (as well as other hotels in cancun) and have walk around the other Fiesta Americana's. The beach was the best at the Cancun. The Coral Beach has a lot of visible Coral within the beach and a rougher surf. They do however have a great restaurant. My memory on the Condesa is not as clear. The Cancun had a nice pool area but I would not describe it as outstanding. As indicated earlier it is the older of the FA Hotels but has a lot of charm.

Ted May 5th, 2000 01:17 AM

Correction! The Fiesta Americana Coral Beach does NOT have a lot of coral or rough surf! It's the BEST hotel to stay at if you're absolutely looking for a CALM bay with a beautiful beach! It's a wonderful, glamorous hotel!!

Suanne May 7th, 2000 04:55 AM

I have to agree with the above postings about the Grand Coral Beach. It is the most beautiful and luxurious hotel in Cancun. We did not stay there, unforutnately, but snooped around. The pool area is out of this world...there must be 8 to 10 pools all connected with palm trees galore. The pools fall into each other, there are several swim up bars, and it is the only place I would stay if I ever went to Cancun again. The only thing that confused us about Cancun was that the pool areas cleared out at dusk/dark, and were closed! I don't know if this is because we went during spring break or what, but it was strange. Have a great trip, and definitely go for the Grand Coral Beach.