Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

First trip to Mexico...need help with all-inclusive resorts

Old Apr 7th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're looking at taking our first ever trip to Mexico. We're in our mid-30s and traveling without kids. We like the idea of an all-inclusive resort, but have no idea whatsoever where to start! We don't need anything that is super involved...we're really looking to just have a few days to lie around on the beach/poolside and relax! I would love a nice beach/pool area, and good restaurants, but other amenities aren't all that necessary. It looks like a lot of places offer golf/scuba/outings - we don't need any of that!

Are there places that we should start to look? We were thinking Cancun because it looks like there are reasonably priced direct flights from Washington DC to Cancun, but we could go nearly anywhere. THANK YOU so much for your help!!

Mara
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 06:50 PM

Cancun has a reputation for being party central. If you fly into Cancun, you could instead head to nearby Playa del Carmen. You could also fly into Cozumel instead OR fly into Cancun, then drive to Playa del Carmen and take the ferry to Cozumel. Another option for flying into Cancun would be to head to Tulum or Akumal.

I can only speak for the food in Cozumel, but it was cheap and FABULOUS. I cannot imagine missing all of the local dining opportunities in lieu of eating at an all inclusive.

Be sure to also check out the forums at Trip Advisor for the locations that I mentioned above -- they are super active!
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 07:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Cabo San Lucas or Puerto Vallarta are two other places I'd suggest looking at.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 08:25 AM

The only advantage to an all inclusive is that the drinks are included. Trust me when I say that the food at most AIs is of poor quality and boring. In most AIs the food is buffet style. Also, in most AIs in Mexico the drinks are limited to Margueritas, Pina Coladas and beer and tend to be watered down.I agree with the previous poster that Cancun is party central and not at all representative of Mexico. I have stayed at both Cancun and Playa del Carmen and prefer the latter.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 08:44 AM

There are many AI's where the food is great, and not all buffet. And the drinks are pretty much whatever you choose. Look south of Cancun at the more upscale resorts. Many of those will have a la carte restaurants, some you have to make reservations at and others you don't. Check out www.tripadvisor.com reviews and message boards for a lot of information. Their boards are very active on the Riviera Maya area. I'm a big fan of the AI's in Mexico, personally I think you can get a lot for your money if you shop around - it just really depends what you're looking for.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 09:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think the all-inclusive or not decision depends on several factors. First are you staying somewhere isolated, or in a town with a zillion great restaurants? How much do you drink each day (cocktails)? And if you plan to lounge around the resort pool and beach all day and relax, or plan a more active vacation out and about. AI works best for the first.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The advantage of an AI is that you don't have to think about where to go eat every day. If you just want pure relaxation, an AI is great. I have NEVER been limited as to what I can have to drink at an AI and if a drink isn't strong enough you just ask them to add more.
There are many AI resorts where you can eat ala carte dinners every night.
It is a personal choice. I have gone AI and not and have enjoyed both.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I really love the idea of checking in and not having to worry about anything for the entire trip. We usually take more active trips - lots of sightseeing and walking, but we could really use a few days of nothing! Have any of you stayed at the Riu Playacar? It looks really nice, and they are running some good deals. Thanks!
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know the condition of the Riu Playacar's beach, but a lot of the beaches in the Playacar area have suffered severe erosion and still have not recovered.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 07:43 AM

maranara,
If you live in DC, your best value will be Cancun, Cozumel and Dominican Republic. We like the Mayan Riviera AIs. Good buffets, 3-4 a la carte restaurants/wk, nice bars pools and beaches for an unbeatable price. We stay at 5 star plaaces and never payed more than 1k/person(direct flight, hotel, food, drinks, recreation and a shuttle to and from the airport)

check Funjet or Apple vacation websites for deals
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 06:21 PM

check bookit.com for Riviera Maya AI's, too. We found our best offer there and are taking our daughter and two teen-age grandsons for a week in June--provided the flu is under control and we're still allowed to travel to Mexico.