Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   First Trip to Mexico - food and water question (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/first-trip-to-mexico-food-and-water-question-972964/)

tyler Apr 3rd, 2013 08:30 AM

First Trip to Mexico - food and water question

We are going to Mexico for our first time and are staying at Secrets Maroma. Do we need to be concerned about eating fresh fruit, drinking water, enjoying drinks with ice?

Thank you

suze Apr 3rd, 2013 09:10 AM

I do not know that specific resort, but typically they all have a purified water system, provided bottled water for drinking, and ice is delivered from a purified source as well (you can tell my the shape of it). No fancy resort in Mexico is making ice cubes from tap water as far as I know.

For fresh fruits, some people prefer to stick with ones that can be peeled (i.e., melon and pineapple OK, but skip the strawberries). Some people don't bother with this precaution.

jamie99 Apr 3rd, 2013 11:53 AM

Bottled water is cheap and available everywhere, your resort will probably provide it for free, ice is purified every where down there so no worries about eating off of your resort.
Just take it easy on the pina coladas, as coconut is a natural laxative.

schmerl Apr 3rd, 2013 12:25 PM

Secrets Maroma is a first class resort. They will provide as much bottled water as you want. I don't drink the tap water, but I do drink water in the restaurants, bars, etc. The ice at the resorts is fine also.

zootsi Apr 4th, 2013 05:08 AM

Due to the very porous nature of the soils, tap water is not potable anywhere in the Yucatan, not even for brushing your teeth. However all resorts will supply you with bottled water or a 5 gallon cooler in your room. Ice for drinks is not made from tap water. Delivery trucks bringing ice and water is a common sight at hotels and resturants. Many places rinse all their veggies and fruits in a sterilizing wash, and will state that on their menu. It's a good idea to rinse any produce you purchase yourself. We have been going to this area for 8 years, have eaten many salads and fruits with no problem.

Katzgar Apr 4th, 2013 10:56 AM

"Due to the very porous nature of the soils, tap water is not potable anywhere in the Yucatan"

not true, and much of the tap water is potable but does vary by property.

waterfilter Apr 13th, 2013 02:54 AM

water filter

yes you must concerned about your food you must take care about your food because food and water are two things that directly effects our body.

black_snip Apr 16th, 2013 03:56 PM

I go to the Play Del Carmen area every year and have stayed at many resorts. Try not to drink the tap water as some of it may make you very ill. However, I always brush my teeth with it and have had the odd glass when I was very dehydrated and have never been sick. Take some over the counter meds for stomach illnesses with you just in case. Food is normally safe as the locals rely on tourism for their income, so they want you to return and bring your friends. Serving contaminated food would not encourage this. If in doubt...ask. Have a wonderful trip.

emd3 Apr 16th, 2013 05:26 PM

Fruits and veggies that do not have peels (like lettuce, tomatoes, etc) are soaked, not rinsed, in an iodine-based concentrate (like Microdyne) mixed with water, for at least 8 to 10 minutes, then dried. That is the process used in homes as well as restaurants and resorts to kill bacteria and make the produce safe to eat.

I have never gotten sick anywhere I have eaten in the Riviera Maya, and I have been dozens of times, I own a place there and before i bought it, we stayed in numerous resorts. The restaurants and resorts know that they count on tourism and once word gets out on the Internet that people have gotten sick from eating at an establishment, it is the kiss of death. Plus, they do care about their guests.

you can always ask at the resort what their process is for sanitizing veggies and fruits with no peels. They will be glad to tell you. I find Mexicans to be proud of efforts that they take for their guests, and hey will not take your question as an insult, in my experience.

emd3 Apr 16th, 2013 05:32 PM

Oh I am sorry, made a mistake, products lik microdyne and bacdyn are not iodine-based, they have ionized silver in them that is used to kill bacteria. So ou don't need to worry if you are allergic to iodine.