Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   First trip to Belize - Advice re where to stay/what to do (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/first-trip-to-belize-advice-re-where-to-stay-what-to-do-871153/)

ebvacationer Dec 29th, 2010 01:02 PM

First trip to Belize - Advice re where to stay/what to do

Just beginning to plan a trip to Belize for Mid-February or Early March! Usually like all-inclusives, but don't know if that is an option in Belize? Would love to stay in a luxury beachside resort, drink lots of good wine, drinks etc., eat really good food, relax and read, and just hang out!
Have not had time to do much research other than a little on Tripadvisor (since just decided on trip last night ! :) But have posted on this forum when planning trips before, and found everyone to be so helpful!
Suggestions please! :) Thanks, eb

qwovadis Dec 30th, 2010 04:15 AM

www.robertsgrove.com my fav...

www.cavesbranch.com is fun for a little jungle

Xanadu Resort on Ambergris my fav in the Cayes

No AIs of quality I know of...

www.secretsresorts.com Maroma Capri best in Mexico for those

Happy Journey,

JeanH Dec 30th, 2010 07:58 AM

Much as I love Belize, I'm not sure it's what you're looking for. There are only a very few all inclusives, and they're small places, probably less than 50 rooms.

Belize is more about getting out and seeing the country or diving/snorkeling the reef. Lots of Mayan ruins, caves, kayaking, rivers, hiking.

There are some lovely resorts where you can certainly find what you're looking for. However, it's a relatively expensive destination, you can probably find what you're looking for for a lot less money.

Also, Belize simply does not have world class beaches. They're nice, but they don't hold a candle to those on the Yucatan.

I don't mean to discourage you, if you really want to try Belize, look at Victoria House, the Phoenix, Coco Beach on Ambergris. Hamanasi or Kanantik by Hopkins. Turtle Inn or the above mentioned Robert's Grove in Placencia.

volcanogirl Dec 30th, 2010 09:08 AM

We loved Victoria House on Ambergris. Give it a look and see if it's what you're looking for. It has a beautiful white sand beach, lots of lounge chairs and hammocks, a nice pool, beautiful views, and good food. They arranged snorkeling tours for us, and we loved them. Did a guided one to Hol Chan that was the best snorkeling we've ever done. It's not all inclusive, but you can charge everything to your room, and they have both a nice dining room and a bar where you can eat. Also have wait staff at the pool for drinks, etc. They also have air conditioning which seemed like a real treat after staying in the jungle. Like Jean mentioned, there is tons to see and do if you decide that you want to get out and explore. We paired our beach time with a stay in the jungle at Chaa Creek, recommended on this board. Lots of great ruins, caving, etc. if you decide you want to see it.

lrnzG Jan 3rd, 2011 05:45 AM

If you're interested in fully experiencing Belize, you should definitely take up an all inclusive Combo package of Jungle adventure first with Beach relaxation second. The Jungle adventure would include visiting Maya temples, canoeing, horseback riding, etc. - At the Cayes, it's recommended to snorkel/ dive the Reef or Blue Hole.. or just lay on the Beach and enjoy the sun! Here's a great Combo package http://www.chaacreek.com/packages/cayos/

Good Luck,

ebvacationer Jan 3rd, 2011 04:24 PM

Thanks to all four of you!!!! As usual, such great and personal advice on this forum!
You definitely responded to my questions and gave great advice! :)
After looking at everything (including the prices) we've decided that what we need is just a trip to Cozumel -have booked a stay at the Cozumel Palace in February.
We would LOVE to go to Belize (sounds soooo beautiful..) But feel like it might be best at a different time for us. (just want to RELAX for now! if you know what I mean!) :)
Thanks to all of you!!!!! e

JeanH Jan 3rd, 2011 06:03 PM

You're welcome, and thanks for coming back to the forum and telling us what you decided.

I do hope you make a trip to Belize one day, it really is a wonderful place--we leave in about eight hours.....

ebvacationer Jan 3rd, 2011 07:03 PM

Oh Jean, I am so jealous!!!!
I do think it would be a place we would really love!!!!
Will check out the places you suggested and maybe we can make a trip there later! Thank you for your help and hope you have a Wonderful trip! e