first time travel to cancun

Old Jul 18th, 1999, 07:25 AM
john

first time travel to cancun

My wife and I are planning a trip to Cancun during 2ed week of October through ABC tours.We are considering staying at the Omni Cancun or Moon Palace. Any suggestions,comments or advice will be appreciated.

Old Jul 18th, 1999, 08:16 PM
TiGuy

Just got back from my second visit to Cancun. Omni should be very nice and convenient. Got to see the Moon Palace when our bus to Chichen Itza stopped by there to pick up some people. It looks very nice and it is a huge complex. The reason its so big is that is has every ammenity you probably would ever need, and this is because it is so far away from ANYTHING. It must be at least 15 mile from the "Party Zone" in Cancun. That being said, if you want isolation I would think it would be great, if you want to go shopping ang discoing, the Omni would be a better choice. This being your 1st visit, I would think you ,might want to be closer to the action. If you are at the Omni, you are only 10 minutes and 4 pesos from anywhere you want to go in Cancun. Personally, for my next visit, I am thinking seriously about staying on Isla Mujeres, very relaxed, very layed back, but you are stuck there after 9pm. I wouldn't suggest this for a 1st visit either. If you have any more specific questions, email me, I'd be glad to help.

Old Jul 19th, 1999, 12:45 PM
hector

Visit Isla Mujeres, and X-Caret is a must! Stay late in X-Caret and see the folkloric show, its simply incredible.

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 09:08 AM
Emily

Yuck! Don't go to the Moon Palace. As someone else stated, it is VERY far from everything. Yes, it is a beautiful resort. However the food is so-so and at times was downright disgusting. Hence the $15 taxi ride to Cancun gets a little expensive. Yet we all have to eat, right? Another problem is the ocean. It is not blue at all. In fact I was there twice in a year and a half and each time it was brown. No one, was on the beach!! If I'm going to pay a lot of money, I want a blue ocean!! Needless to say, we insisted on being moved to another Palace resort. I stayed at the Beach Palace and Cancun Palace. I liked Beach Palace better, more laid back and you could actually find a beach chair. That was impossible to do at Cancun or Moon Palace if you weren't up and out at 7am. I don't rise that early on vacation. I must warn you. Overall I was not pleased with Cancun. I suggest you stay at a U.S. owned resort. Palace resorts are Mexican owned and it was obvious. I lost 5 pounds on both of the trips I took. Trust me, travel agents and brochures make everything seem better than it is. I won't go back. The only reason I went a second time was because Palace Resorts offered me a free trip back after the first trip sucked. I regretted using the free coupon.

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 11:52 AM
Cat

Cancun's beaches are absolutely beautiful. I loved it there. I've been twice and both times stayed at the Fiesta Americana Condesa (five star hotel). It's a must! Cancun is very fun (and touristy) with lots of shopping and restaurants, tours, etc., but you can also just relax by the beach all day at your hotel. Hope you have fun.

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 04:44 PM
lynne

Try to get to the ruins!! Chichen Itza is wonderful!!
Cancun is lovely but VERY touristy. If you like this kind of thing then it is great - personally I prefer smaller resort areas. I think that Cancun is a must at least once because of the historical interest - the ruins make your whole trip. Otherwise it is just an expensive, touristy place.

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 09:22 AM
Bebe

I've been to Cancun 3 times. Have stayed at the Omni. It's a great hotel. Loved the marble floors in our room. Great service. My other favorite is the Fiesta Americana Condesa (someone above also recommended it).

Make sure you take the bus or taxi downtown away from the hotel zone. It's not to be missed for inexpensive authentic food, culture, and friendly locals. We spent many dinners there. Much better than eating in the higher-priced hotel area.

Take the ferry to Isla Mujures. It's worth the 45-minute trip. Make sure you check out their bread/pastry store within the market area. Breads are fabulous.

While in Cancun, bargain for everything. When you shop, don't take the first price quoted to you. Be prepared to walk away from a souvenir/item if they won't come down in pesos. Most times they will come after you and tell you OK. Has happened to me numerous times. Also, if you take taxis, bargain for the rate before you step in the auto.

To get pesos, exchange your $ downtown for the best rate. Hit the downtown bank if open or just use the small booths set up throughout downtown for money exchange. Do not exchange at your hotel; rates are terrible.

Have a great time!

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 02:11 PM
Pam

A good website to check hotel opinions in cancun is www.cancun.com/index.stm If you check it daily you can see how people really feel about the resorts. I will be leaving for Moon Palace next Thursday for 8 days. People rave about the place. I don't understand the above post. Yes, it a bit removed however they run shuttles to their other properties in the hotel zone where you can use their facilities also including blue water. There is a seaweed problem on Moon's beach at times and the water isn't as blue but you can't beat the luxury, the jacuzzi in your room for two etc.. Read the reviews on site. I am going for relaxation and I don't drink. I don't need the party zone. I want to work out, see the ruins, and shop a bit.Moon Palace is perfect.I haven't heard much about the Omni Cancun but everyone loves the Moon Palace.

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 09:23 AM
Emily

Moon Palace is made out to be much more than it is. Yes, it looks to be luxury, but the rooms seemed to be very cheaply assembled. Also, it's location looks bad. It's located off a highway that is surrounded by old abandoned factories. It's funny, because all of a sudden you see the sign for Moon Palace out in the middle of it. You'll see what I mean when you go. As for the beach, no one was in the water for either of my trips. It was disappointing, because the water was calm, but looked almost dirty. Everyone crams around the pool and no one laid on the beach. I'm sure you will have a good time. However, you will tire of the food quickly and will want to get to Cancun and different restaurants. 8 days is a very long time. My boyfriend and I literally lost weight on both of our trips. Make sure you take money for the taxi fares to Cancun. I think we paid $15 each way for two people. I honestly feel that Cancun is a destination that doesn't really care about repeat visitors. Once they have you there who cares if you return because millions of others will. I haven't experienced that when I've traveled to other places. I do have one suggestion. Insist that your room is centrally located to the main building and pools. Both times I stayed our room was a fifteen minute walk from the lobby, restaurants, pools, etc. It bothered me even though I am a person who doesn't mind the walk. Ask for your room to be near the center of the resort. It seemed like our room service suffered because of this. I really was expecting great food and was very disappointed. The was simply gross at times. Maybe my palate is a little more discriminating than others, but you will want to venture out to restaurants. My next Caribbean/Mexico vacation will not be at an all-inclusive resort. I think it's hard to have high quality, excellent tasting food when you serve so many people. Also, the drinks aren't always up to par either. I heard many people ask for drinks that the staff could not, or would not make. Feel free to email me if you want. I could tell you the whole story from beginning to end (both trips!!). We were definitely very very let down. If it's not too late, I might suggest you move your reservations!!

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 09:28 AM
emily

Oh yeah another comment. The shuttle between resorts never existed either time I was there. Yeah you could use it, for an additional fee. If I remember correctly, (I was there in May) it wasn't cheap either. Also, you had to book it the day before. That was another reason we were disappointed. You can use the other resorts all you want, but you have to get there first. Like I said, I can fill you in more if you want!

Old Aug 8th, 1999, 08:17 PM
Jill

I stayed at the Omni and just loved it. I don't think you could go wrong staying there. They have about the best beach in all of Cancun. The bus stop is right in front of the hotel which was very convenient. The Omni has four nice pools and a swim up bar. The Omni is also optional all inclusive. I wouldn't go all inclusive as there are many, many wonderful and cheap place to eat in Cancun. The Moon Palace is too far away and they have seaweed on the beach (yuk)! You can check out cancunmx.com. That site has a very active board and many people on it willing to answer questions or give advice. There is also a hotel comments section on that site that you may find helpful. Good luck and have fun!!

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 05:34 PM
MARIA LUISA

HI JOHN!
I LIVE CANCUN,AND LET ME TELL YOU THAT I AM A PROFESSIONAL TOUR GUIDE.
THE OMNI ITS A VERY NICE HOTEL,AND IT HAS ALOT OF SERVICES NEAR BY,ALSO IS NOT AS BIG AS THE MOON PALACE, WICH CURRENTLY HAS MORE THAN 2000 ROOMS, SO YOU CAN IMAGINE HOW MANY PEOPLE THERE IS IN THE POOL, BESIDES THE FACT THAT THE MOON PALACE ITS OUTSIDE CANCUN HOTEL ZONE, AND IN ORDER TO GET THERE, TAKES YOU AROUND HALF AN HOUR, BY TAXI.
I DO PRIVATE TOURS TO THE ARCHEOLOGICAL SITES, NEAR BY CANCUN, IN A 1998 RAM WAGON, LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THEM, OR IF I CAN ASSIST YOU WITH MORE INFO OF CANCUN.
IŽLL BE HAPPY TO HELP.