First time to Argentina

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

First time to Argentina

This will be my first trip to Argentina, Nov/Dec and there is soooo much to see and do and I only have 4 weeks. I would love some feedback if the following is at all possible. I am not sure how many days to spend in each. Is there something I should skip, and something I should add. I will be backpacking, mostly... so noting is set in stone.

1. Santiago - start -
2. Salto del Laja
3. Pucon
4. Bariloche
5. Fitzroy National Park
6. El Calafate
7. Torres del Paine
8. Punta Arean
9. Ushusia - fly to Buenos Aires, if this is possible
10. then from B.A to Iguazu falls
11. Back to B.A and home

Also is it a hassle togo between Chile and Argentina, any visa needed?
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 07:07 AM

That's a lot to fit in. Depending on if you plan on hiking in the Fitzroys and in Torres del Paine. You'll want a month to do Fitzroy to BA. Trekking around Bariloche is AMAZING as well...hike up Mt. Tronador for sure for at least a night. Ushuaia could be skipped...though at that time of year maybe it won't be as rainy and cold as when I was jut there this past spring.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 02:02 PM

You'll have very little time on each spot, 1 or 2 days, if that's OK with you, you're good. I wouldn't skip, but may be better if you took something out...Fitz Roy maybe, but its hard because all are great.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 02:30 PM

Don't know about the rest but you will never see a more incredible site than Iguazu falls! It is the most fantastic place; stay in the Sheraton if you can and be sure and do all the walks and definetly the boat ride but also the train to the very end where you get out and walk over the river as it rushes into Gargantua Falls! just back and I am ready to go again. stay at the very least 2 nights ; the town of Puerto Iguazu is cute too and we did go into brazil but is not necessary.

PS while in B Aires go for the day trip fast boat to Uruguay...charming! also go to La Viruta to dance or watch; its on Armenia St in Palermo Viejo & real natives go there; arrive by 10 and take some lessons! STAY LATE
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who posted a response. I realize that I may have to much to hit in one trip and I want to enjoy Argentina, not fly through it just to see it. So basically I will spend around 3 weeks from Santiago down to Punta Arena, then go staright to B.A and Iguazu falls for the last week. Or maybe I just end up in one spot and never leave....
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 06:03 AM

I'd agree, this is a whole lot to try to fit into just a few weeks. You could spend the whole time in just one of those places and not see all of it.

Oh, and yes, it's possible to fly from Ushuaia to BsAs and/or to Iguazu - opposite ends of the country, but completely do-able.