First time Costa Rica visitor seeks itinerary advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2012, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are flying into Liberia on July 9 arriving around noon (this flight is already booked). We plan to rent a car and drive to Arenal area possibly staying in LaFortuna. We only have six nights and also want to see the coast so we only plan to stay three nights and check out on July 12 and head for the beaches around Playa Hermosa, Conchal area. We had to decide between Monteverde and Arenal, both of which we would love to see but not enough time for both. Since the roads leading to Monteverde require slow laborious driving we chose Arenal because we hope to drive there from airport in four hours or less arriving a couple hours before dark and experiencing our first sunset. Is this a good plan? We are considering either Lizards and Leaves or The Lost Iguana. We want to zipline on a GOOD tour not just a couple of ziplines, maybe a hanging bridges tour, hotsprings, or guided nature hike. We will head out early on July 12 and hope to make it to coast in about five hours. Considering beaches north of Jaco- Coco, Playa Hermosa, Playa Grande. Would like a pretty white sand beach though it doesn't have to be. This portion of trip is more about relaxing, although we may goon a dolphin tour or sailing or snorkeling one day or even take a sidetrip to Rincon. Any and all suggestions for beaches or places to stay in either place would be appreciated. We do not want a real touristy place at the beach where travelers are in a fancy hotel that could be anywhere but wish to be closer to the beach in a three or four star that can help us with tours. We want to end up on the coast because we fly out of Liberia on the 15th at noon and need to get up early and head for airport( a 45 to 90 minute drive depending on how far south down the coast we are. Any rental car co. suggestions would be appreciated also. THANKS for any and all help.
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:51 AM

I can help with the Arenal portion of your trip. The Lost Iguana is one of our favorite places to stay; it's a great little hotel on the outskirts of town out by the lake and right next door to the Hanging Bridges. It has a very jungly feeling to it and great volcano views. Some of the rooms have Jacuzzi tubs on the balcony which are awesome. If you want a good zipline, I'd recommend Sky Trek; they have some of the highest, longest lines in the country - 600 feet up in the air, and you travel and over 50 mph. Very fun. For hot springs, I'd go with Tabacon if you want big and fancy or Eco Termales if you want smaller, charming, and locally owned. We like to hire a guide through Sunset Tours and hike out by the lake and dam area. You might want to take a hike at the waterfall as well; you can do that one on your own if you're interested.
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the reply volcano girl. any advice for a place to stay on a pretty beach on pacific coast around playa hermosa?
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 01:05 AM

p, we haven't been to that area. The only beachy area we've been to is Manuel Antonio, and I think you would feel it's too touristy. If no one else responds, tripadvisor has a lot of reviews.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 10:27 AM

This was my 3rd trip to La Fortuna (May 2012). This time I stayed at the Arenal Green Hotel ($50 cabin single occupancy; website is: ArenalGreen.com). The cabins are SO nice: refridgerator, extra large bathroom, 2 beds with porch in front of each. They offer outdoor massages by the river with a bamboo constructed shower--really cool! The people who run the hotel are gems! A family that lives on site--Monica, the daughter who is so knowledgeable and friendly; Ana, front desk who can direct you anywhere you want to go.
The best zip lines we found is Sky Tram & Trek. About 8-10 lines, heights of 560' and speed up to 50MPH. Awesome view of the Arenal Lake the entire time.
I've walked the Hanging Bridges two times. Be sure to look into the small holes on the hill walls--they sometimes contain tarantulas (sleeping during the day).
There is a fantastic Butterfly Conservatory in El Castillo with butterflies that will envelope you (it's just past the Serpentarium building which is also fantastic).
Always remember to look UP into the trees as there will be a sloth that can only be spotted if you "look" for it. Also, capuchin monkies are sitting there watching you.
Take a boat ride down the Rio Frio and see a nice mixture of wildlife.
Wait with booking your tours until you get there as the weather can play an important part in whether or not you go here or you go there.
Ana at the Arenal Green Hotel knows all the tours.
Just tell her "Cindi from Houston" sent you! I spent a week there, and really enjoyed their company.
Good luck, have fun and be safe!