Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page > Finding the Right Spanish School in Guate, and other C.Am Countries? -- What are your experiences?
Notices

Finding the Right Spanish School in Guate, and other C.Am Countries? -- What are your experiences?

Jul 17th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

Finding the Right Spanish School in Guate, and other C.Am Countries? -- What are your experiences?

My husband and I are heading to Guate on the 23rd and planning to stay a little over a week and a half. We'd like to attend a school there, but are having trouble weighing them. We're looking for something with a great homestay (a family that is really interactive and might even go out and show us the town), fair prices, and that is located in a place where fun afternoon and evening cultural activities are available to walk or bike to. I did a similar thing in Granada, Nicaragua about 5 years ago, and Granada was perfect for that --- always something to do, but a good place to practice Spanish (looking for a more immersive experience -- not a really heavily trafficked area where English will be spoken a lot). Anybody have any ideas for me? We've looked at places in Xela and around Lago Atitlan, but are totally flexible.

In the last three weeks of our trip, we'll make our way through Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica and are scouting out schools and good places to visit there too -- does anybody have any good Spanish school suggestions or other sites we should visit in any of those locales (that are similar to the description above, and a bit more below)?

Things we like:
Volunteering for a couple afternoons in schools or hospitals
Cultural experiences (theater)
Long talks with locals (in Spanish, albeit somewhat broken!)
Museums -- history, art, etc
Archeological sites; including war sites, major historical locales, temples and religious/cultural buildings
Ferias !!! Festivals of all kinds -- would love to attend some of these.
Good Food -- adventurous eaters
Wildlife and nature -- husband LOVES volcanoes
Hiking, Biking (love biking) , walks
Markets!

If you know of ANY school in Guate, Honduras, Nica, Costa Rica, or El Salvador that has access within walking or biking to many of these things (or that offers great, affordable excursions), PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE share!!
Jul 17th, 2007, 11:34 PM

3 weeks for 4 countries sounds like misery to me - I'm more the 1 country in 4 weeks type. Here are links to the 2 schools I attended (and loved) in Honduras and to my photos/travelogues:

www.ixbalanque.com in Copán Ruinas
www.ca-spanish.com (Central Am. Span. Sch.) in La Ceiba and Utila (the latter is a poor immersion environment)
www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections/

I'm heading to Nebaj and San Pedro la Laguna this summer for a week of study and volunteering in each; here are the links to the schools I've selected:

http://nebaj.com/nls
http://cooperativeschoolsanpedro.com/ (this link didn't work for me just now)

Keep us posted - happy trails!

Search this Thread