Search

Driving Coastal Rough Roads from Tamarindo to Montezuma - March 2

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2011, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving Coastal Rough Roads from Tamarindo to Montezuma - March 2

Hello,

So I've read about this a bit and seems that there is divided opinion about whether it's a good idea or bad idea to drive down the coast road from Tamarindo to Montezuma. I know it's dicey and you have to ford like 4 or 5 rivers (maybe same river a couple times) and it's back road.

Some people say to go for it, others say don't do even in dry season.

SITUATION
- small SUV - Suziki Jimmy or maybe mid size
- 2 adventures, competent and smart people in car
- 2 not super experienced off roaders. Frankly very little.
- GPS - we will probably have a Garmin
- Driving south

QUESTIONS
- Should we do this?
- Is there point where we can get to driving down and still reasonably turn back and head for the road on the eastern nicoya coast? What is that point?
- Is there a way to do a hybrid? Partial way down, then take an inland road w/o having to go all the way to the Gulf side?
- How would be able to time the tides?

Any deeper insight would be great. I've watched videos of people fording rivers there and looked closely at Google satelite view of these fording areas.

Thanks.

Chris

PS - a guy who lives in Montezuma who is manages the house we are renting said he would not recommend we do this. He said "It's a little complicated for me and I live here"
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 03:31 PM

A few years ago, a poster gave a really detailed description of this drive (during dry season, of course), and we have always wanted to do it. It seems that, at that time, there was a portion of the National Geographic Costa Rica guide book dedicated to helping drivers navigate that road. I can never remember the screen name of the person who reported on his experience on the coastal route, and he doesn't post here any more. I don't want to take responsibility for your decision, but we would sure be willing to give it a try.
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 07:57 PM

We wanted to drive from Montezuma to Tamarindo. We were advised not to do it because some parts of it were along the beach and when the tide is in there could be some trouble. We opted not to go that way.

Arlusa
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 05:01 AM

www.nicoyapeninsula.com details route risks

way to adventurous for most even locals do not do it

frequently totally impassable with any rain.

So stay inland on the good roads mapped above.

Have fun,
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 11:34 AM

We drove inland last year from Tamarindo to Montezuma and trust me I do not think you want to go the other way - even this way there were times that had me almost in tears. I remember 1 hairpin turn and the road was washed out so if you did not see it you would have gone right off - once you are past Tambor it is not bad.
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:58 PM

Made the drive just 10 days ago. I didn't take the coast route from Tamarindo to Samara. We went inland through Santa Cruz and Nicoya. It is a great trip. Beautiful country. Bbeautiful beaches. Small SUV should be fine. I had a midsize and could have done it with something smaller. Forded 4 rivers but none were more than knee high. We didn't take the coastal route through Santa Teresa and Mal Pais either but rather through Cobano to Montezuma. It is a long day. It took us two hours from San Francisco de Coyote to Montezuma and you should count on 3 hours from Tamarindo to San Francisco de Coyote. You might consider breaking up the trip and stay either in San Francisco de Coyote (there are some inexpensive clean cabinas there) or in Casa Caletas which is a very nice hotel just 15 minutes outside of San Francisco de Coyote towards Montezuma. www.nicoyapeninsula.com has good maps and the Moon Guide has a very good map that has great details of the route from San Francisco de Coyote to Montezuma.