finalizing CR trip end of Aug

Old Jul 29th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
finalizing CR trip end of Aug

Still have a few questions regarding our trip, We are 4 adults going to CR for 12 days
end of Aug into Sept. our 1st night in SJO staying at Don Carlos Hotel (cheap 65 nt) Is there a place to eat within walking distance?
2 nt Tortuguero Turtle Beach Lodge then taking pvt transfer to Arenal. $40pp
4 nt Arenal Lost Iguana. Any rooms should we request? and should we rent a car here and what rental companies. Should i book this is advance or when we arrive? Looking to do as much here as possible. We want to Zip line, volcano tour, hot springs, cano negro, the falls & hanging bridges, No rafting or horses, (have done this already elsewhere). Is there any tours or trips we should do on the same day weather permitting? AM or PM. Then we head to MA for 3nt. If we book a car we will take it for the week and drive ourselves to MA, if not we will have to get hire a car. Once in MA we will just wing it, but if we have no car we will need transfers back to SJO for 1 more overnight before leaving. Any and all input is much appreciated. You guys rock.........
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 09:00 PM

There are a couple of restaurants within walking distance of Don Carlos, but I'm sorry I can't remember the names. The front desk can point you there. At Turtle Beach Lodge, don't miss taking the kayaks out right from the lodge. We took them out for hours and it was not only beautiful, but lots of wildlife. Renting a car is good for Arenal. You don't need one, but Lost Iguana is farther away from town than some (although next to hanging bridges). Tri-Color gets good reviews. Probably easier to book in advance you know you need it. You could do Eco-Thermales your first night. Cano Negro (they will pick you up) the next day and night volcano hike, following day hanging bridges, zip line and falls (full day!) In MA bus is pretty easy and cheap and taxis are good. Park is closed on Mondays. I like Orquideas Inn for last night to chill before flying out.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 09:41 AM

At the Lost Iguana, you might want to request a lower level room, we got a higher number room in the 40s this last trip, and it was a hike up a steep hill to get there. Wonderful hotel though.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Considering we are going to Tortuguero first, would you still do the Cano Negro trip in Aranel? Still trying to figure out the size car we will need that will fit 4 people & our luggage. We will drive from Aranel to MA. Like C V Villas & Mot/Mot but a little pricy. Will be their over Labor Day weekend and they are not offering any deals. Would rather spend the extra $$ ATVing or doing something fun. How is Costa Verde?
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 05:10 AM

Costa Verde is great, especially their Studio Plus rooms - stunning views. Couple pools and 2 restaurants plus El Avion up the road. Usually lots of monkeys on the ground. I liked both stays and would stay there again.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 05:40 PM

Costa Verde gets good reviews; you might check out Mango Moon too or Villas Nicolas. We did both Cano Negro and Tortuguero on our last trip. I loved both of them, but I love being on the water and spotting wildlife. I do think they are pretty similar.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 05:47 PM

We just got back yesterday and stayed at Lost Iguana. I would request an upstairs room, better view. Fabulous place, great staff. We were in the low numbered units, much easier to get to reception and restaurant/bar. Cano Negro pretty much all day, but spectacular wildlife. We booked through the hotel and had aventurous something tour group. You can do hanging bridges and hot springs in one day, zip lines and hanging bridges also in another day. We did not have time for waterfall, probably most of the day.Eco Termales only takes 100 people, and I reserved early, but honestly there were not more than 80 people there the evening we went.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Can you suggest any specific room #, and does it always take a few days to get a reply from the hotels and car companies?
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 04:54 AM

We always request a second floor room also - less chance of critters getting in and usually a better view. Some hotels will respond right away and others take a few days. If I don't hear something after a couple of days, I usually e-mail them again to check. Sometimes places have problems with their e-mail. I've always found the Lost Iguana to be very responsive.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 09:59 AM

i don't know if you've booked your car yet, but the rates i found on hertz.com were half as much money as the rates from other companies. i thought about extending my car rental while in costa rica and the rate they offered me there was $60/day. i'd booked a daihatsu terios 4x4 for 23/day online from home. it held the four of us, 3 rolling carry ons, a large backpacking backpack, plus two other day backpacks.