Final Itinerary for a June trip to Buenos Aires

May 6th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Final Itinerary for a June trip to Buenos Aires

Thanks to all of the great advice here, I have finalized my plans for June. I have been working with Cintia from Wow Argentina. She has been great. Here's my plan:

Day 1 Arrive BA at 6 am, early hotel check in (Argenta Tower), meet Cintia at hotel at noon, go for a walk, early dinner (I'm flying first class on FF miles so I hope to arrive actually rested.)

Day 2 Full day tour of BA

Day 3 Walking tour of Retiro and Piazolla Tango show

Day 4 Art Tour, possibly Opera Pampa in the evening (I know some say it's cheesy but we have a similar Wild West show in my home town so I am interested to compare)

Day 5 Feiria de Matadores

Days 6&7 open to visit museums etc I want to go back to, possibly a trip to Tigre depending on the weather

Day 8 Colonia

Day 9 Open

Days 10-12 El Ombu estancia with a trip into San Antonio, return to BA and check into the Marriott (using points)

Days Days 13 & 14 Sightseeing done, Enjoy the hotel, sit in cafes, shop, get a massage or pedicure

Day 15 9 pm departure

Have I missed something or does this sound good?
May 6th, 2008, 05:37 PM

Sounds like a nice combination of organized tours and down time to enjoy Buenos Airea at a slower pace....Sitting in cafes...an experience everyone should have...take an hour for cafe and medilunas....people watch, read the paper....

on day one you are doing a walking tour near your hotel (Argenta Tower) and on day 3 you are touring the same area again...maybe you are going in different direction??
May 6th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Day One's walk is just me not a tour. It's just my own exploration - anti jet lag activity. I'm meeting Cintia at the hotel so she can give me my tickets and so forth.
May 6th, 2008, 06:44 PM

Hi
We flew First Class and I slept very well..hope you do too!

I have heard so much good stuff about the Opera Pampa, friends who live here urged us to go .. I think it would be fun!

The Feria de Mataderos -, will you stay the entire day? You will probably have a lot of day to do something else..

The Belle Artes Museum has done some remodeling , you should give them a look..

Day one, why don't you take a taxi to Recoleta and have a cafe lunch, browse along Alvear, maybe visit the Cemetery..not too hard a day, walk, rest in a cafe, walk, rest ..

Sounds good.. a nice mix as dr dawggy says

May 7th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

That's a good idea for Day One Scarlett. I can hardly wait - just a month to go.

I'm glad to hear something good about Opera Pampa too.
May 7th, 2008, 12:00 PM

I really enjoyed Recoleta and would not have wanted to miss it. Will you go to either San Telmo or Recoleta for the antiques and crafts fairs? Very fun and some great items for sale.
May 7th, 2008, 12:05 PM

The Recoleta Feria is Sat and Sun, which makes it easier to fit in San Telmo too...

May 7th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I thought I would probably hit Recoleta on Saturday and then go to San Telmo either before or after Matadores.

What's your favorite in Recoleta for lunch?
May 7th, 2008, 02:27 PM

In Recoleta?
On Saturday..go to Rodi Bar on Vicente Lopez and Ayachucho. A real locals favorite..sit by a window and enjoy the view while you eat.
or...
( we rarely eat lunch so I am wracking my poor tired brain lol)
Croque Madame on Callao ... lovely, sort of like a tea room but wonderful food, service and desserts.
Como en Casa on French & Laprida..same as above..lovely.
Cafe Biela is ok for lunch or scrambled eggs anytime <this is my husbands reco for you >
The Design Center, right by the Cemetery & Feria has a nice restaurant called PrimaFilla..good salads! big salads..service is spotty but it is nice there.
If you need more, ask, I have run out of thoughts at the moment lol

May 8th, 2008, 06:54 AM

teach2travel-
We arranged our trip through Cintia of WOW! Argentina and were very pleased with her professionalism and attention to our welfare and enjoyment. You will like Estancia El Ombú and the town of San Antonio de Areco. I think you will also be satisfied with the Argenta Tower. A wonderful restaurant about 4 blocks away is Juanna M <http://tinyurl.com/6887qh>
The Frommers review is correct when it says Juanna M is "amazingly inexpensive" but it is also very good too. A free salad bar comes with each entree. Get there by 9:00 P.M. and you won't need a reservation. Just walk right it.

Have a great trip!