Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   ferry times/schedule (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/ferry-times-schedule-418971/)

sautterm1 Apr 4th, 2004 05:23 PM

ferry times/schedule

What times does the ferry go accorss to the Nicoya penninsula? I heard 12 and 5p.m.? Is that correct?

shillmac Apr 4th, 2004 05:55 PM

Go to nicoyapeninsula.com for ferry schedules and other helpful info about this area.

shillmac Apr 4th, 2004 05:59 PM

Forgot to mention to you that these times are subject to change. We were planning to take a 12:00 or 12:30 ferry from Puntarenas to Paquera in March, but were afraid it would be busy (Spring Break), so we arrived a little after 10:00 to discover that the 10:30 ferry was the only one until much later in the day! We got lucky! We thought the ferry schedule was 8:30 and 12:30 and 4:30 or something like that.

LA_FadeAway Apr 4th, 2004 09:36 PM

The web site has "(High Season)" listed to the left of the list of times, but you can't really tell which time(s) they are referring to. I'm thinking that taking the 10:30 would be a safe bet for us, but I'll check the schedules agian closer to our trip.
How long does it take from Alajuela to the ferry? I'm wondering what time we should have our car delivered and hit the road to make the 10:30.

shillmac Apr 5th, 2004 02:49 PM

If I were you, I think I would leave Alajuela at least by 8:00. It shouldn't take you longer than 2 hours to drive to Puntarenas. By the way, when you get to Punta. and drive down that main road (it is a spit), go all the way to the end, then turn right. If you go far enough (almost as far as you can) you will see a small sign on your right that says "Ferry" and points right. Arriving there by 10:00 should give you time to get in line, buy tickets, and catch the ferry. I understand that sometimes you have to wait for the next one, but when we have been there, it has never been that crowded. Although, we've never driven up at the last minute either.

sautterm1 Apr 5th, 2004 04:08 PM

Does the ferry carry cars across? We're renting one in San Jose.

shillmac Apr 5th, 2004 05:51 PM

Yes, it does. The driver stays with the car (drives it on), the passenger(s) walk on. Drivers join passengers after they have parked the car below. Passengers are above on two levels (covered and uncovered--top).

dncee11 Apr 7th, 2004 05:51 PM

Shillmac has all the right info for you and I would add that the ferry ride is not to be missed for some scenery that you won't see elsewhere, its a great little trip! Be sure to have your camera ready....

debbrown Apr 7th, 2004 06:41 PM

I was assuming that the new bridge replaced the ferry. Is there a reason we would prefer the ferry?

Deb

costaricaguide Apr 8th, 2004 02:09 PM

The new bridge is mainly a timesaver for the northern nicoya beaches (replacing the Tempisque river ferry) If you're trying to get to Montezuma, Santa Teresa, Mal País etc. the ferry across the Golfo de Nicoya is still faster than driving all the way north to the bridge, then back south.

shillmac Apr 9th, 2004 03:43 PM

Ray is correct. A couple of years ago, there were 2 ferries. A little short one (just a few minutes)across the Rio Tempisque between Puntarenas and Liberia, and the long (hour and a half) that crosses from Puntarenas across the Gulf of Nicoya to Paquera or Naranjo. The ferry across the Tempisque was replaced by a wonderful bridge (and fantastic highway, I might add) a little over a year ago, I believe.