Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Ferry from Buesnos Aires to Montevideo (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/ferry-from-buesnos-aires-to-montevideo-165890/)

moi Jan 14th, 2003 01:02 PM

Ferry from Buesnos Aires to Montevideo

Could somebody tell me how long does it take to go by ferry from one place to the other ? How often do they go ? what's the cost ? Is it worth the trouble or you would suggest flying ? Thank you much.

dilermando Jan 14th, 2003 02:07 PM

The website www.buquebus.com/argentina/home.htm will provide answers for your questions. If you decide to try the ferry from Buenos Aires to/from Montevideo, I will be most pleased to hear your opinion. Thank you.

moi Jan 15th, 2003 11:53 AM

Re:Dilermando - Thanks for your help . I checked out that website ,but didn't book with them cause my Spanish is not good enough - don't want to end up in the Amazon ? I acctually found some info from this Fodors also ,so I do have some ideas...But we won't go until end of March. Thanks again.

marta Jan 16th, 2003 05:12 AM

Hi Moi,<BR>I've done this trip thousands of times. You don't need to book in advance for March (low season). You just show up at the deck and buy your ticket, or buy it a couple of days in advance. Make sure you make this trip on a sunny day. It takes a little less than three hours on the Hydrofoil.

moi Jan 16th, 2003 11:08 AM

Re: Marta. Thank you Marta for your tips. Still working on our travel plans and may need to bother you again !Engish is my second language , my poor, rusty French is 3rd , and my Spanish....aaahhh ( I can order food , drink ,and bargaining-that's about it !!!)Thanks again.

Graziella Jan 17th, 2003 05:29 AM

Hi Moi, I have done the trip recently the matter in fact I am in the middle of my South America visit.<BR>the ferry between Montevideo and &lt;Buenos AIres takes like 2 hours, and both ways is around us80. There are two different other services, one links Buenos AIres with Colonia, a tiny colonial little town worh a short visit,<BR>and takes 45 minutes if using the fast service, and then they have a direc connection to a bus which takes aprox.2 hours to Montevideo.<BR>Both services are good. <BR>Noth of Colonia, at 1 hour drive, the little town of Carmelo is a charming little town by the river. Close to it, we stayed in a wonderful oasis of peace and great, great service. This is the Four Season Carnelo, you can look at it at the Four Season Hotels site, one of the most charming spas wich oriental techniques, great golf, horse riding, smimming etc with an outstandin staff that pampers you all the time.This was really a very unexpected quality service near this tiny town. Hope you read this and that you find it possible to go. They have all kind of packages, it is not inexpensive but certainly worth it. Nearby there are old wineries and some ruins from the colonial times.<BR>Bon voyage.

Graziella Jan 17th, 2003 05:31 AM

I forgot you can go from Bue to Carmelo taking a catamaran from El Tigre which takes 3 hours. A new service was being approved which takes less time.

moi Jan 17th, 2003 12:22 PM

Re:Graziella -I felt pretty fortunate to get all kind of info + ideas. Colonia is actually another place I have in mind , so you had me convinced. I do appreciate all the info you gave. If you have time to throw in some more ? We only have 10 days there.Time is more of a concern than any others.

Cintia Jan 17th, 2003 04:54 PM

It takes from 2:30 to 3 hours to get from Buenos Aires to Montevideo.<BR>You can take either the ferry that goes straight to Montevideo or the one that goes to Colonia and from there take a bus to Montevideo (this is all included in the ticket that you buy)Return ticket in first class taking the second option costs around $170 pesos plus tax<BR>and $133 plus tax on tourist class.<BR>Return ticket in first class taking the first option (direct trip from BA to Montevideo-no bus)costs $382 plus tax and $313 in tourist class.<BR><BR>Airplane ticket costs around $380 for argentinians and it may be a bit more expensive more tourists.All prices are in argentine pesos (exchange rate as of Jan.17 2003: $1.00 american dollar = AR 3.2)<BR>

Graziella Jan 19th, 2003 12:37 AM

Hello Moi, I am pleased that you are getting good inf. As I said I am right now in the middle of a long Argentina+<BR>Uruguay trip.<BR>We stayed in Carmelo for 2 nights, and had a great time in the beautiful Four Season Hotel.<BR>This is a place to relax and enjoy being pampered as well as golf or tennis and water sports in the river.<BR>The Spa with Asian techniques is fantastic.<BR> Service is outstanding. A good idea seems to buy a package with the Four Seasons in Buenos Aires . I haven t stay in the Bs As Four Seasons but I understand it is also a very nice hotel.Location is very good.<BR>I would take the direct catamaran trip from BUenos Aires, from the Tigre , in the delta of the river, direct to Carmelo where the hotel can pick you up.<BR>For a fee they aslo pick you up in Colonia in case you prefer to go through Colonia.<BR>Colonia is a quaint little colonial town worth of a short visit or staying one night max. I didn t stay but looked at a lovely hotel called Hotel Plaza Mayor, www.hotelplazamayor.com.uy rooms beging at 85 dollars with breakfast and &gt;I guess you can bargain either for an upgrade or even a better rate. There is a good rest. in the main sq <BR>We stayed in Punta del Este in a charming hotel, that could be found in Provence or Tuscany ...Punta del Este is a sofisticated resort, absolutely great beaches, several of them, and lots of all kind of activities.This is a very chic hotel, with a hugh, hugh garden full of flowers and old pine trees.GreAT pull and out door rest. Here they also pamper you. The best meals we had were at Los Negros Rest, in a small tiny town a few miles East of PUnta del Este, this is good but expensive because the Owner Chef is very wellknown. In the Punta itself we were fortunate enough to be invited to the Punta del Este Yatch Club, where service and food are excellent and prices are reasonably inexpensive.<BR>Close to the Yatch there are several rest. , we enjoyed Lo de Tere, that can be translated to Chez Tere, live music, a good cuisine, and good service. Lovely view ....Because we were one of the four first tables we got an unexpected 40% off., This happens they explained to us because everybody goes terribly late for dinner, true enough a little later the place was full ...<BR>A few miles before Punta del Este, we had lunch in a charming art hotel, called Las Cumbres, it is some kind of a crazy art hotel , have a look at www.cumbres.com.uy, it has a trendy look, great view over the sea and a lake.<BR>In PUnta we also stayed in a hotel called Las Dunas, this is some kind of a Sheraton, let us say, this was in December and because December is a little off the high season, we got a great deal, we got a suite for four persons, consiting of one bedroom with a king bed, a living room with to sofa beds, two bathrooms, a terrace facing the ocean, and even a small kitchinette which we never used, because for $100 dollars a day, the four of us got American Plan, that is a very, very good buffet breakfast, incluing everythng you can think of, and a very nice dinner a la carte in its beautiful rest., dinner had a choice of an entree, a main course and desert. It was for instance a full salad, fresh brotola, which is the best fist to eat in Uruguay, with potatoes,and a creme caramele or fresh fruit salad. The place is nice beacause it has two pools by the ocean in case it is too rough, one heated.<BR>Also has a Spa which I did not use.<BR>The best cafe in Punta is called Rosario the owners are from Torino, Italy. Real good capuccinos and pastries. <BR>A place called El Ciclista is a bistro with good fish and reasonable prices.<BR>Hope you have a great time, in Argentina a great place is Cataratas de Iguazu, staying at the Sheraton, and also the trip to the Perito Moreno in the deep south is a wonderful experience<BR>Have a great time. Graziella.<BR><BR><BR>

Graziella Jan 19th, 2003 12:41 AM

hI The hotel that we loved in Punta del Este , is the AUberge, as I said this charming , elegant hotel with great service could be find in Provence or TUscany.They serve among other things great high teas, including belgian waffles with fresh fruits and or dulce de leche, a local delicacy.

Cintia Jan 19th, 2003 03:29 PM

Dear Moi: I hope you have found my information about prices for the hydrofoil useful.<BR>PLease be aware that sometimes non residents are charged a different fee than the one for locals so you´d better find that out before making the reservation. If you need any help regarding transfer from airport to hotel, accommodation or activities in Buenos Aires I will be happy to help you.

Cintia Jan 19th, 2003 03:50 PM

Regarding language, you won´t have to worry about it. I deal with many tourists and they all say that most merchants in the city do have at least a slight idea of English. Of course, a book of Survival Spanish will help you a lot too.<BR>March is a nice month to come because the weather is not so hot. I´m sure you will enjoy your stay here. [email protected]

moi Jan 19th, 2003 04:44 PM

Re: Cintia ,thanks for your help . I do appreciate it and may need to talk to you again ? No , I'm not really worry about languages , I've been to quite a few small , &quot;non-tourist&quot; towns of different countries like Morocco ,Thailand ,Portugal,Greece...on my own(lots of &quot;signs&quot; language!) and survived .It's actually amusing sometimes.Good ,clean hotels on GOOD LOCATIONS (walking distance to places)is important.For nice beaches , beautiful pools , good spa service... we go to the Caribbean .On this trip , we plan to spend minimum time at hotels.

moi Jan 19th, 2003 04:53 PM

Re:Graziella. Wow, look at all the info you gave.I'm a big eater and you were telling about all these food...I think I'll have to check the next available flights ! thank you so much.I know you've enjoyed your trip a great deal.

gRAZIELLA Jan 21st, 2003 07:11 AM

hI mOI, The fact is that restaurants are good and inexpensive.<BR>where do you live? I live in the US, and for US standarts Argentine adnd Uruguayan prices are most reasonable.

Cintia Jan 21st, 2003 07:48 AM

Graziella (pretty name) is right. Two people can have a big barbecue lunch with wine and dessert for less than $20.00 in Buenos Aires!!! As far as I know Uruguay is a bit more expensive than Argentina because their currency is slightly stronger than ours, but it is still cheap for most tourists.

Graziella Jan 24th, 2003 11:53 AM

Hi, I am back in Buenos Aires after sometime in Uruguay, you are right Cintia, ...but both countries offer great buys in everything, food, shopping... even medicaments, today I had to buy something at the drugstore only to be delighted to find out that same Lab. same everything this medicine was like three times less than at home.<BR>Prescriptions are not needed in most cases I have been told.<BR>No one is going to travel to go to the dentist but my daughter who is with me had a problem and again an impecable dentist charged much less. It is a question of the money rate as you pointed out.<BR>Taxis are much, much less. For the price of a bus ticket you can have a fairly long ride. However here in Bs As it is not safe to get into any taxi, you have to get the phone numer of a reputable radio taxi or remise, that is a car +driver , being an excellent service for same price as taxis . I have the hunch however that those remises companies linked to expensive hotels might charge more.<BR>Have fun all of you. Graziella<BR><BR>

Graziella Jan 26th, 2003 12:43 PM

Hi Cintia, both Uruguay and Argentina have great prices for very good food.<BR>It is the exchange that favors us a lot.