Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Ferry at night...? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/ferry-at-night-510336/)

greenergrl Mar 7th, 2005 07:07 PM

Ferry at night...?

Hi- I'm leaving on Thursday for CR, and I'm really excited!! Our flight lands in San Jose at 2 PM, we pick up our jeep, meet a friend, then off to Puntarenas to take the ferry to Nicoya...It says the last ferry leaves at 8, and I'm wondering...Is is dark by then? Will we be able to see anything? Is it worth is to stay someplace and take the ferry in the morning the day? We're going to want to go someplace with a nightlife...some fun bars...

Also, is the ferry crowded at this time of year? How early should we want to be there?

Thank you, Kristen

shillmac Mar 7th, 2005 07:42 PM

Kristen, I can answer a few of your questions, though not all. Yes, it will be dark at 8:00--since between 5:30 and 6:00 p.m. Double check the most recent ferry schedule you can find just before or just after arriving-they are subject to change. I wouldn't want to ride the ferry after dark--no fun. It's an interesting ride.

But don't drive to Puntarenas and stay there---it's a yucky little town, and I'd never DREAM of doing an overnight there. If I were you, I'd stay near the airport at Las Orquideas or similar place and relax for the afternoon (what's left of it by the time you get through the airport), get to bed early, and get an early start for the ferry the next morning. You are about 2 hours away (a little less with luck) from Puntarenas at the airport location.

It's not what I think you have in mind for nightlife, but you can have an enjoyable time "bellied up" to the Marilyn Monroe bar at Las Orq. The bartenders are friendly and fun, speak good English and you can, as I said, relax for the evening before getting on the road. There is a great breakfast there as well.

Usually you will need to arrive at the ferry landing 30-45 minutes ahead. An hour if you're antsy about it. Yes, it will probably be crowded more during this time of year than at other times--and more in general due to increased tourism. Have a great time!

thoid Mar 8th, 2005 04:57 AM

greenergrl: I would take Shillmacs advice. The odds of you getting your rental right when you get there is probably not good, you may have to wait awhile. I would get the car and a room for the night near the airport, and then start to the ferry in the am. The road to Puntarenas is very hilly and can be dangerous (crazy drivers) during the day, I can't imagine what it would be like at night (you are in the Mountains dealing with cliffs!). The Ferry is pretty scenic and the area you get on the Ferry will be much safer during the day. Remember you are on CR time now. Add an hour or 2 to anything you do.
Remember, the people who work of the Ferry have Dark Blue shirts. Get in line with the car and wait for someone from the Ferry company to give you a Token, The Ferry will dock first and then you will see someone giving out the tokens (this will allow your car to get on the ferry) Then you can go to the ticket office. Beware of scam artists while you are in line.

faithie Mar 8th, 2005 05:05 AM

Would have to agree with the above . There is sooo much to see , shame to miss it because of darkness .... Tons of nice little hotels around San Jose .

Ally Mar 8th, 2005 07:57 AM

Agree with all the above, and I love the Orquideas Inn. Fun little bar, nice people, good food.